Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Definition of Ale or Lager yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Default Definition of Ale or Lager yeast

We have heard over and over the statement "The difference between a lager and an Ale yeast is that a lager is a bottom fermentation and at cold temps and Ale yeast is a top fermenting at warmer temps".
Guess what, this is not what defines a lager or an ale yeast. I was told about this few yeast ago by someone that actually gratuated in brewing. He also shared few documents, which I paste below, so we get this cleared.

"LAGER VS. ALE
Strictly speaking, yeast that can metabolize melibiose (a simple sugar), are classified as Saccharomyces
Uvarum, or lager yeast, and brewing yeasts that lack this ability are classified as Saccharomyces
Cerevisiae, or ale yeast. In recent years the distinction between these yeast on a taxonomic level does
not correspond well with the actual performance of the yeast in brewery fermentations. A yeast may
have an ale yeast taxonomy (i.e. does not metabolize melibiose) but performs like a lager yeast in the
brewery (i.e. low temperature fermentation, bottom fermenting).
Top fermenters vs. bottom yeasts can be determined by cell wall composition. Can be tested by
placing in a clean test tube with H2O and shaking. Those that make a “skin” at the top are probably top
fermenters.

Saccharomyces Cerevisiae can ferment glucose, sucrose and maltose

S. Uvarum (Carlsbergensis) can ferment all including melibiose

S. Diastaticus can ferment all plus dextrins. Produces considerable quantities of diacetyl and is
considered a wild yeast."

That explain why a lager is drier and crispier than an ale, because a lager yeast can metabolize more sugars (Melibiose).

Anyway, just wanted to share this information.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thank you, Nilo. I had heard the same information from various sources, but never took the time to confirm any of it since I'd never had to explain the different to anyone other than a brewer.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post

That explain why a lager is drier and crispier than an ale, because a lager yeast can metabolize more sugars (Melibiose).
I was with you until this part. Wort has negligible amounts of melibiose. Melibiose and raffinose fermentation are useful from a taxonomic POV but have nothing to do with performance in fermenting wort.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I was with you until this part. Wort has negligible amounts of melibiose. Melibiose and raffinose fermentation are useful from a taxonomic POV but have nothing to do with performance in fermenting wort.
I think I should have posted that last comment with a question mark at the end

Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
S. Diastaticus can ferment all plus dextrins. Produces considerable quantities of diacetyl and is considered a wild yeast."
Interesting name, sounds like Disastrous to me...

Great info.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Yeah, I heard about this a long while back, but it doesn't help the new brewers, or any of them really. Just an interesting note on how they are classified technically. I just pass on the bit about cooler ferments and bottom fermenting for lagers and that sets them on their way.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
danlad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ale vs lager? Can be a bit of a can of worms when you start to think about it too hard, even though we all know inside which is which

Not a can I'm about to open just now either...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Interesting info. Thanks for posting.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Quick Reply