Dealing with a dry hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsnewbrew

Reaction score
I have an IPA in secondary with a muslin bag of hop pellets for dry hopping. It hs been in secondary with the hops for 7 days and I am ready to bottle but before I do so I have a couple of questions.
I am an extract brewer and have always struggled to get a light colored beer. This was my first success. The beer was maybe a 5 when I transfered to secondary but a day after adding the hop sack, the beer has darkened significantly. I assume that this is from hop particles seeping out of the bag and being suspended in the beer. I would like to bottle my beer with that light color.

1.) Is that the correct assumption?
2.) Assuming I am correct, how can I get the suspended hops out of solution before I bottle.

My only thought is to remove the bag, seal the carboy back up and let it settle for a day or 2.
Will that work? Does that add a risk of infection?
What about a cold crash? I am fermenting at 68F. I can lower it to 62?

Thanks

Jim

Leave hops in cold crash as cold as you can, in the lower 40s if not colder. I just crashed my IPA at 34 and it came out great.

The beer got darker because more of the yeast and proteins settled out.

When particles are suspended, the beer appears lighter because the particles reflect light. When they drop out, the beer appears to get darker.

So if anything, hop particles suspended in the liquid will be making your beer appear lighter.

And who wants hop particles to settle out!?!? That's missing the point of dry hopping!

I found a corner of the basement next to an outside wall that is holding to 46 deg F. I moved the carboy there and will give it two days and then will bottle.

Back