Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > dead yeast, what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
carbonzx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i did not try to have my yeast in my sani bucket for that long i just forgot about it for a little bit. i fill my bottling bucket up to 5gal with warmest tap water i can get > then throw tubes and utensils in > then transfer into carboy > let sit > and then transfer back to bottling bucket. i did this with 30 minutes left in boil, by the time i threw my yeast in it was a bit warm but nothing scalding.
at 12 hours my fermentation temp was at 72f and i have been told that the actual temp inside the carboy is usually 4-5 degrees hotter, so i figured i was in too warm an area with carboy for proper fermentation and moved it to a colder part of my house and since then i have been around 62.
as i was trying to explain this to the nb forum, i just didn't feel like they were hearing me and the responses i have gotten here so far are much better and faster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Well, yeah, it's 'cause we give a sheet...

I would hold off on putting yeast packs in the Star San solution until you're about to use them. Also get a fermometer onto the side of the fermenting vessel so you have a better idea of what's going on in there. If you're able to chill to the right pitching temp (I aim for at least the low end of a strain's range, if not below it) then the temperature will tell you a lot. You can have a temperature increase (above ambient) when the yeast are going at it. Even with cooler starting temps and low ambient temps. Right now my basement is at 46F on the unfinished side and 50F on the finished side (it goes no higher than 54F). At the most, I'll put the next fermenting vessel on the finished side. These temps are really good for the yeast strains I use (English strains).

With a thermowell going into the wort, I can get a temperature reading that's as good as you can get. I used that to determine when my big English barleywine was done fermenting. It was above ambient for about 2 months. Then it went to ambient. Guess what? It's done. I need to pull a gravity sample at some point and get to aging it. The target was 15.3% ABV (used WLP099)...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2246 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 4507

I read the posts over there, son. same advice on both boards. if you're not hearing what you want to hear, then all advice will fall on deaf ears. if you're so worried, re-pitch.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3358 Times on 3098 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Remember to adjust your hydro readings for temp, most are calibrated at 60F.
I love the way you said this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
In the future don't put your yeast in hot water.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I do hope you're not judging fermentation/yeast activity by airlock activity. There have been plenty of cases where the airlock hasn't done a damned thing, but the beer fermented fully anyway. Especially when buckets are used, since the lids can [sometimes] be a total PITA to get to seal fully.
And this. And you'd have to watch an airlock 24/7 to know it's not bubbling. But I hear ya. Not seeing vigorous activity makes me wonder too. After a few brews, you'll feel better about it.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
carbonzx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i did a search on this board about dead yeast and it seems i am not the only one to have ever done this. i also found some good relevant info.
yes it sounds like my og was taken at a diff temp than my gravity today so yea that accounts for the difference i suppose.
sorry i don't consider rdwhahb a very thought out informative answer to the questions i was asking.
end of story, i think it's dead from sani bath but nothing i can do today anyways, tomorrow i will hit that 72 hour mark and i will see what is going on with it then, if i have to go spend 20 bucks on gas to buy another pack of yeast so be it.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonzx View Post
i did a search on this board about dead yeast and it seems i am not the only one to have ever done this. i also found some good relevant info.
yes it sounds like my og was taken at a diff temp than my gravity today so yea that accounts for the difference i suppose.
sorry i don't consider rdwhahb a very thought out informative answer to the questions i was asking.
end of story, i think it's dead from sani bath but nothing i can do today anyways, tomorrow i will hit that 72 hour mark and i will see what is going on with it then, if i have to go spend 20 bucks on gas to buy another pack of yeast so be it.
I still hope you're not judging just off of airlock activity. It's NOT a 'magical fermentation meter'... LOOK at the surface of the wort/beer. Shine a light across it (on an angle). If you see tiny bubbles there, guess what... You've got live yeast. Just give them some more TIME to do what they need to. Also, if you didn't oxygenate the wort well, that would/could account for the extended lag phase. Putting stressed yeast into a low O2 environment means they're going to have a longer lag phase.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonzx
end of story, i think it's dead from sani bath but nothing i can do today anyways
Well forgive us if we aren't freaking out over your beer, but there are only about 5000 noob posts a day asking questions similar to this. At the beginning it seems so tricky to make beer, but you will understand very quickly that it's nearly impossible to NOT make beer. I'm glad the HBS is closed today, because I'll bet you a beer that by this time tomorrow your beer is fermenting on it's own.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2246 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 4507

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonzx View Post
that is THE thought out informative answer. stop & listen. 72 hours before worrying.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
that is THE thought out informative answer. stop & listen. 72 hours before worrying.
In the eternal words of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

DON'T PANIC!

Fermenting
K1:
People Like This 
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
carbonzx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Well forgive us if we aren't freaking out over your beer, but there are only about 5000 noob posts a day asking questions similar to this. At the beginning it seems so tricky to make beer, but you will understand very quickly that it's nearly impossible to NOT make beer. I'm glad the HBS is closed today, because I'll bet you a beer that by this time tomorrow your beer is fermenting on it's own.
Ill take that bet.

Primary - speckled heifer
secondary - black ipa
bottled - dunkelweissen

Quick Reply