Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dead Yeast and Neglected Aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Xaquery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dead Yeast and Neglected Aeration

Yesterday I brewed a batch of this Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale Clone . Unfortunately, upon pitching the yeast was a goner. The Wyeast packet did not inflate after a few hours, so we tried proofing the yeast on our own. No luck, it was D-E-D, dead.

So today I pitched a couple of packets of Safale S-04 about 30 hours after the boil ended. I realized immediately afterwards that I did not aerate the wort prior to the pitch.

This is the first time that this happened to me in a couple of years of brewing. I was just wondering what I can expect from the fermentation, and whether there is anything I can do to remedy the situation.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
GotPushrods
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Fortunately, dry yeast is engineered to be dried at the peak of sterol production. There is still some debate as to whether more oxygen is needed, but its not necessary with most modern dry yeasts and a modest OG. You'll be fine.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Xaquery
Recipes 

Thanks. I pitched three (...) packets yesterday. Most likely overkill, but it shouldn't effect anything, right?

The fermentation is rolling along quite nicely!

Quick Reply