Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > De Molen Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Scottatron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default De Molen Yeast

If anyone out there has had any of De Molen's golden type ales (Op & Top for example) you will know that they all have a similar yeast characteristic. Does anyone know what kind of yeast they use (if a commercial strain)? I have done some research but found nothing.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can get some of the bottles you can probably just re-culture it. I'm not sure if they filter their beer, but it would be worth a try if you really want the yeast. You can search the forum for more info. My process is simple:

1) make 50mL starter w/ airlock (I have a 50 mL flask, a clear beer bottle will work)
2) pour off majority of beer into a cup.
3) using an alcohol swab, swab top of beer bottle and flask.
4) pour in yeasty bottom of bottle.
5) swirl to degass the Co2.
6) ferment at normal temps.
7) drink beer in cup .. (see step 2).

It may take a few days before you see activity. Keep an eye on it and feed it more starter solution to keep it growing. Once you get a decent amount of yeast, bump it up to a bigger flask and use a stir plate if you have one. At that point you can either just keep feeding it to keep it alive, bottle it and put it in the fridge or slant it for future uses. I also do small 1 gal batches to make sure I got the yeast I wanted. Some breweries ferment with one strain and bottle condition with another.

Good luck!! If I could get the beer here I would volunteer to culture it and mail you a slant.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Scottatron
Recipes 

Thanks a lot for the reply jusware. I am hoping to obtain some yeast starter ingredients over christmas holidays. I'm hoping that they do use the same yeast to bottle condition. I will report back here in a while once I give it a shot.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 22

hi this is a bit of a late reply but if still interested, the guys at de molen are pretty open about what they do so it's worth shooting them an email to ask if the bottle conditioning yeast is the strain from primary. and they have a contact link on website
http://www.brouwerijdemolen.nl/index...t/contact.html
(i have been meaning to get over to their tasting room for the past few weeks so if i do i will ask... it's only about 30km from my house!)

Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
AllHopAbandon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
the guys at de molen are pretty open about what they do
This is true.

I go to De Molen quite often and the owner (Menno) will give you lots of information about his brewing techniques if you ask him. Come to think of it, even if you don't ask, he's quite passionate about his craft

If you pop him an email, he'll probably tell you everything about his strains, pitch rates, conditioning techniques and so on.

And dinnerstick, stop being lazy and get your a$$ over there, it's absolutely worth it

Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 22

haha- yes sir, i am going on the 11th for the long tour! and maybe i will have a look in the beer shop....
if i can still focus

Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Scottatron
Recipes 

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I sent Menno a beer mail on ratebeer and he replied that he did not want to tell what yeast he uses which is understandable. If you happen to get any good info when you go there in person, please send me a pm or post here. Thanks.

Quick Reply