Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Darnit!! Think I have my first stalled fermentation... Any thoughts??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
True. It really gets down to just how cold. Minor temp drops can be restarted. Major temp drops just freak out Belgian yeasts. They do have temps that cause them to stop.
As does almost any yeast strain. But I find WY1762, for instance, about as resistant to temp swings as most ale yeast.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
As does almost any yeast strain. But I find WY1762, for instance, about as resistant to temp swings as most ale yeast.
Each strain is different. I agree that 1762 acts more like most ale yeasts, but it also is more sensitive to high temps than most Belgian yeasts. Ferment 1762 too hot too fast and you might as well call NASA and ask them if they want to buy some rocket fuel.

Since the Op did not mention which yeast was used and exactly what temps he was experiencing we are just guessing.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Gus_13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Like has been said already, the cold snap can shut down the Belgian yeast. You also had a high OG of 1.085. Depending on whether or not you made a starter, or pitched 2 vials/packages of yeast, could make it stall as well. I under pitch every time and keep to a strict temperature regimen. That has fixed any stalling problems I had. I recommend pitching a clean fermenting yeast to finish up. Maybe something like a California or maybe and English strain. Your flavors have already set in. Don't be afraid to repitch when it's this far in the fermentation. Not going to get many off flavors as of now. Good luck and remember to monitor temps as best as possible. Belts work great. My fermentation chamber has a heater to be able to control it a bit further.

Bottled/Conditioning: BDSA #3 - Farmhouse Saison with Brett Brux and JP Dregs
Secondary: BDSA Rum Barrel Aged - Wild Ale - Sour Saison with Peaches - Year 1 Lambic
Primary: Berliner Weisse
On Deck: Saison Blanc - All Brett Witbier with Meyer Lemons - Oud Bruin - House Sour for Blending - Tripel w/ Honey
Untappd: Gus_13
Twitter: @aaddkison

Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
I do this also for brews that need heat. I too have Saison using 3724 going right now at 88.
Nice !

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
Phipcice
Recipes 

Big thanks for all the great feedback!! I decided to re-hydrate a sachet of dry yeast re-pitch as I have no experience making a true starter. I also improved my temp control by taking the tub I use to cool my wort and added an adjustable aquarium heater. Putting the carboy in the tub filled with water with the heater has made it easy to control temp. It's only been a few hours and it seems as though this may have done the trick as air lock is bubbling along nicely. Obviously I won't know until I take another gravity reading in about a week..

Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #16
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Airlock bubbling is just off gassing CO2 from colder wort as it warms up.
I hope it restarts and ends well for you, though.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Phipcice
Recipes 

Crud... Pitching more hydrated yeast didn't do squat... Maybe small move forward (from 1.030 to maybe 1.027) but surely not what I was looking for... I apologize to those who suggested making a starter and pitching at high krausen, I don't have what's needed to do that... Will definitely learn how to make starters going forward.. One last try.. Fellow brewers I work with gave me something to try.. At this point I'll try anything... Went to store and bought Malta Goya, Latino beverage made from malt, no alcohol... Put 2 bottles in sanitized pitcher, added some yeast, was told to wait until "high krausen" (not really sure when this is..)... Pretty significant cake after 48 hours, pitched and now I'm waiting.. Refuse to dump...

Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

What Yeast did you pitch in this batch the first time ? ? ?, we need this information to help you, if its 3724 you are experiencing the dreaded stuck at 1.030 that this yeast is if famous for, once vigorous fermentation starts to slow, you have to get 3724 yeast above 84 deg to get it to ferment out...

I'll repeat myself one more time just incase it is,
Hello, a swamp cooler with a aquarium heater ($20 at wallyworld) works great to control and keep temps up when its too cold for your fermentation, this is how I keep my Saison 3724 above 84 deg for finishing.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
Phipcice
Recipes 

The Malta Goya yeast kick start seemed to do the trick, got it down to 1.020.. Got it in the bottle yesterday. Not sure what to expect.. Going to let it sit for a while.. Thanks a lot for all the feedback.. Learned a lot.. Bought equipment to control temp.

Quick Reply