Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Darnit!! Think I have my first stalled fermentation... Any thoughts??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Phipcice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Darnit!! Think I have my first stalled fermentation... Any thoughts??

(learned a few lessons I think) Brewed a Belgian tripel, hit OG 1.085.. I followed my standard schedule of leaving in primary for 10 days then transferred. (1st mistake - assuming fermentation was complete.). AFTER transfer I checked (1.030).. Then worry set in, waited until this morning (3 days later), checked again (1.030).. Crud... Yes, I know, I should have checked prior to transfer (1st lesson learned).. Looking back, unfortunately my house got quite cold a few times during primary, freaking cold Wisconsin spring is killing me, I need to pay better attention to temp control (2nd lesson learned). Now that beer is out of primary, not sure swirl and warming will do anything.. Any help/thoughts to get to the finish line would be greatly appreciated...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

You have a couple of problems..

First you transfered too soon. Belgian yeasts often start fast, but then take their time getting down to FG.

Second, you let the temp drop. Most yeasts do not like to have the temp drop, but Belgian yeasts absolutely hate a temp drop after fermentation starts.

Chris White of White Labs yeast, says of Belgian yeasts.*

*"When you cool them, they stop. They go into survival mode. You can try rousing them, raising the temperature, but they won't start again. You just have to add new yeast."

You probably should get some more yeast, make a starter and pitch it at high krausen. Get the temp up to the high end of the yeast you are using. At this point you are not going to develop off flavors from fermenting hot.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Hello, a swamp cooler with a aquarium heater ($20 at wallyworld) works great to control and keep temps up when its too cold for your fermentation, this is how I keep my Saison 3724 above 84 deg for finishing.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello, a swamp cooler with a aquarium heater ($20 at wallyworld) works great to control and keep temps up when its too cold for your fermentation, this is how I keep my Saison 3724 above 84 deg for finishing.

Cheers
I do this also for brews that need heat. I too have Saison using 3724 going right now at 88.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Good ol' Brew Belt works great for me. I can get my beers into the 80's even when bulk aging in the cold side (55*) of my cellar. They don't heat very quickly either, so you have time to loosen it if you want to stabilize or reduce the temp.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's Saison

Primary 1: Cornholio's Bunghole Surprise
Primary 2: Necromantic Amber Ale
Primary 3: Wooden Tongue Oatmeal Stout
Primary 4: Blaze's 50th B-Day Grapefruit IPA
Primary 5: TC's Torrontes
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Sara's Chianti

Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 122

+1 on everyone's comments, re-pitch a starter at high kraeusen, get it warmed up with some kind of heater. Hard to get Belgians restarted.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
Chris White of White Labs yeast, says of Belgian yeasts.*

*"When you cool them, they stop. They go into survival mode. You can try rousing them, raising the temperature, but they won't start again. You just have to add new yeast."
Not universally true in my experience.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

pdxal Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Not universally true in my experience.
.Maybe not universally true, but the OP did say that his house got quite cold. Since he is in Wisconsin I believe that he got cold enough to cause a problem. Getting a little cold and the yeast may start again, but getting real cold and most likely the yeast willl not start again. I guess it all depends on the definition of cold. I am guessing that sine the OP is from Wisconsin his description of quite cold is different from someone that lives in a warmer climate.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
.Maybe not universally true, but the OP did say that his house got quite cold. Since he is in Wisconsin I believe that he got cold enough to cause a problem. Getting a little cold and the yeast may start again, but getting real cold and most likely the yeast willl not start again. I guess it all depends on the definition of cold. I am guessing that sine the OP is from Wisconsin his description of quite cold is different from someone that lives in a warmer climate.
Yes, it could be that's his problem. I was more addressing the statement by Chris White that implied all Belgian yeasts do that. I respect his knowledge and experience, but I've had some experiences to the contrary.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Yes, it could be that's his problem. I was more addressing the statement by Chris White that implied all Belgian yeasts do that. I respect his knowledge and experience, but I've had some experiences to the contrary.
True. It really gets down to just how cold. Minor temp drops can be restarted. Major temp drops just freak out Belgian yeasts. They do have temps that cause them to stop.

Quick Reply