New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Danstar Windsor - a review (using my house bitter)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
Biggles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
I've been trying to like this yeast as its a different English strain than Nottingham or so4, but it's so damn nutty in aroma and flavor.

I brewed Bobs Session Mild Extract recipe with it and fermented nice and cool at 65f for 3 days in my fridge and then let the beer free rise to room temp to drive attenuation and clean up after itself. Weeks later in the keg, the beer comes off Englishy fruity, but it's so nutty and muddled in aroma and flavor that it overshadows the malt character of the beer. Also, I think the OP is right about fining or crash cooling this yeast, as I think that would help to remove some of the yeast character from the finished beer. I may try this one again on a pale bitter, but even that's up for debate. Can't one of these companies make a dry Fullers strain?
I wish my CDA was nutty, maybe once it's conditioned it will be, fruit is distractingly prominent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply