Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Danstar Nottingham Slow starter???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
HappyHeadBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Danstar Nottingham Slow starter???

Brewed 2 batches yesterday, used SafeAle US-05 in the pale ale and Notty in the Amber. The pale is bubbling away in the primary and has been since early this afternoon (about 18 hours after pitching). The amber has yet to show any movement in the airlock (I know this isn't the best measure of fermentation, but it should be moving a bit, eh?). I rehydrated the yeast at about 86F and let it stand for 15 mins until it got down to a similar temp as the wort- about 72F. There seems to be some slight krausening, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else experience slow starts with Notty? I've heard great things about this yeast, but its our first time using it. Just want a little assurance our beer isn't shot. Thanks!

EDIT: We did not rehydrate the SafeAle, never have and it has always worked great.

Keg 1: Smiling Sky Summer Pale Ale
Keg 2: Laughing Hyena Amber Ale
Primary 1: Smiling Sky Summer Pale Ale (it's good!)
Primary 2: Ahimsa Amber Ale
On Deck 1: Hop(e)fulness IPA
On Deck 2: Irish Red Ale

Last edited by HappyHeadBrew; 05-02-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Notty does not HAVE to be rehydrated either. It will work fine straight in.

Yes, sometimes Notty will take a while to discernably kick in. Relax. it will do its job. I have had buckets sit 3 days before they kicked in. I have also had batches finish without every seeing a bubble (cracked in seal releasing CO2).

Your beer is fine. Patience. Leave it alone. Stop looking.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you see crausening but no activety in the airlock im betting on a leak somwhere

Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3203 Times on 3107 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Notty is usually a pretty quick starter for me, but there was a lot# a while back that had serious lag problems. I had several packets that took 80+ hours to show any signs of fermentation, but they all turned out great in the end.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
HappyHeadBrew
Recipes 

I appreciate all the responses. One thing I forgot to mention: this is the first time I'm using a new 8 gallon BrewCraft fermenting bucket that has a surprisingly loose fitting lid (normal?). Perhaps that's the cause?

Cheers!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Fat_Bastard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i have used notty twice, the first time I had fermentation in 6 hours. today I pitched at 3 pm and at 10:30 pm I have fermentation starting(1 bubble every few seconds).

The lid on my bucket has a rubber gasket and fits extremely tight,once it's on its almost too hard to get off.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
HappyHeadBrew
Recipes 

well... i've checked it multiple times, which i know goes totally against previously given advice ... the results: certainly some krausen and the bubbles from it are breaking, indicating gas is being released. also, the temperature overnight (coolest time of day) actually increased by about a degree to 72F or so (it's starting to warm up here in the Central Valley of California), which i believe is also indicative of yeast hard at work. plus, it smells like fermenting beer! i did move the fermenter into the garage this morning to try to get the temp down just a bit, but i'm happy as long as i stay below 75, which i should. my final determination is that the brewcraft lid, by design, simply sits loosely on top of the bucket, though tight enough not to let any critters in. i'm okay with this, though it would have been nice to know ahead of time.

thoughts?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've always had fast starts with Notty and very controlled fermentation as far as size of Krausen of about 2 inches. By the third day or even 36-40 hours after first airlock activity it is mostly done with a bubble every minute or so. It also has excellent attenuation with all my ales finishing around 1.010-1.012. It takes awhile for floccuation though and at the end of the first week my beers are still completely cloudy. By 3 weeks it is better but still clears significantly in the bottle or keg.

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you are fermenting between 72 and 75 air temperature, I would recommend trying a batch cooler: sit the bucket into a rubbermaid tub, add water until it is level with the wort. add frozen 20oz soda bottles and keep the water temp at 65 degrees.

Or build a son of fermentation chamber.

But try fermenting cooler... you might like your beer even more. Temp control of fermentation is key.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My experience with notty has been that it starts quickly and is a relatively quiet (very mild activity) fermenting yeast.

Additionally, I will echo the advice chefmike has given relative to fermentation temperature. The recommended temperature range for fermenting with notty is between 57F and 70F. Personally, I typically set my fermentation cabinet between 60F and 62F.

Quick Reply