Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Danstar Munich Wheat yeast vs liquid Hefe yeasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
PuNk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Danstar Munich Wheat yeast vs liquid Hefe yeasts

I have been looking for someone with personal experience with the Danstar Munich Wheat yeast. I was just wandering the following questions:

1) Is there a comparable liquid yeast (Wyeast or White Labs)

2) If there any commercial beers using this yeast?

I just purchased a NB Bavarian Hefeweizen extract kit with the Wyeast 3638. I normally use dry yeast.

Thanks for your help, PuNk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have not used it for its intended purpose, but I did use the Munich in batch of apfelwein; didn't like it. A year later and the twigginess is still fading out.

I have not tried Munich in actual weizen wort; maybe I'll do that this week.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I have used it for Hefeweissen and Dunkelweissen. Pretty good, but liquid yeast is better. I like Wyeast 3068 the best, I guess.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

A buddy in my brew club tested two dry wheat strains. He is a little bit of a wheat beer freak. I cannot find the original thread, but I quoted him in a thread in the science section:

Quote:
Last night my good friend Jeff and myself decided to taste these freshly carbed and tapped beer. Here are our tasting notes

WB-06
Cloudy with a thick white head, straw colored. Aroma is a bummer as there is a slight hint of sulfur and no clove or banana. Taste is very clean with a small trace of citrus and just a touch of perle hops. The mouth feel is very light and it has a very clean finish but the citrus tang lingers. Final grade 1-5 5 being the highest.

Dan gives this beer a 2.
Jeff gives this beer a 1.5.

Thoughts: This will be ok for beer pong, but is a far cry from the delecious hefeweizens I make using liquid yeasts wlp 380 hefe iv or Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan.

Danstar Munich
Slightly cloudy(almost clear)1 finger of thick white head, Golden color. Aroma as the slightest hint of clove and touch of bread. Taste is very clean with a touch of breadiness. Mouth feel is light and the finish is crisp.

Thoughts: This is spot on for an American hefe but nowhere near a German hefe. I would consider using this yeast again but not the WB-06.

Dan gives this beer a 3.
Jeff gives this beer a 3.
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
PuNk
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Jimmies
Recipes 

I used the WLP300 and it gave me a very noticeable banana flavor, which I happen to like.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I like WLP300 over WLP380.
But when I don't want to bother with a starter I prefer WB-06.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Disi
Recipes 

No experience of Munich Wheat personally, nor any liquid yeasts for that matter. But I'd like to share my experience of WB-06, and tasting of same recipe using the Danstar yeast.

I've tasted a hefe made with Munic, and basically, it screamed "bananas!" at me, aroma and taste. Rather clear, too.

On the flip side, I've used WB-06 and I, as well as everyone else who has tasted, like it very much. Cloudy, thick and creamy head, nice balance of clove and bananas, only slightly citrusy.

My recipe is very basic, 60/40 malted wheat and premium pilsner (Weyermann), and some Hersbrucker for bittering.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #9
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disi View Post

On the flip side, I've used WB-06 and I, as well as everyone else who has tasted, like it very much. Cloudy, thick and creamy head, nice balance of clove and bananas, only slightly citrusy.

My recipe is very basic, 60/40 malted wheat and premium pilsner (Weyermann), and some Hersbrucker for bittering.
what temp do you pitch and ferment at? Do you rehydrate or just dump? Also what is your mash schedule? Are you doing a ferulic acid rest. I have some of this yeast and I will gladly switch if I can get a product I am satisfied with... for now it is WL380 for me. I pitch in the 50's and ferment at 62 degrees.
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Disi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
what temp do you pitch and ferment at? Do you rehydrate or just dump? Also what is your mash schedule? Are you doing a ferulic acid rest. I have some of this yeast and I will gladly switch if I can get a product I am satisfied with... for now it is WL380 for me. I pitch in the 50's and ferment at 62 degrees.
Pitch at 68; shake the hell out of the fermentation bucket and sprinkle the yeast over the wort. Ferment at 60°F for 72 hours, and 68°F for the rest (I normally bottle after ten days in primary). Single infusion, medium body (154°F for an hour), no mash out.

Quick Reply