Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Danstar Munich Wheat in Ale Style Oktoberfest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Acme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Danstar Munich Wheat in Ale Style Oktoberfest?

Hi,

I've only been brewing since January, but have raced through some 10 extract brews and am ready for my first all grain effort. Loving Oktoberfests as I do, but lacking lagering equipment, I'm going to effort on an non-lager Oktoberfest. It was going to be Ale-style, but one of my favorite beers so far was my first, Hank's Hefeweizen from Midwest. A friend of mine called out the yeast contribution and it got me thinking the Danstar Munich Wheat might be a nice yeast for this recipe. A quick forum search didn't reveal much about "wheat" yeasts for non-wheat beers.

6lb American two row
3lb Vienna
2lb Munich
1lb Bavarian Pilsner (last minute sub for CaraVienne)

(mash conditions tbd after more research)

1 oz hallertau 60 min
1 oz hallertau 20 min
1 oz hallertau 1 min

Fermentation will be mid to high 60s.

I'd appreciate a thought or two. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
skyebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Two thoughts:

Changing caravienne to pilsner will remove any caramel/toffee notes to just malt. Not a bad thing, but the two aren't interchangeable.

Im not sure on using that yeast, but if you want lager qualities, maybe you should try white labs wlp810. Its a lager yeast that can ferment cleanly in the low 60's. Set yourself up a simple swamp cooler by putting your fermenter in a tub of water, cover it in a wet shirt and point a fan at it. If you can already ferment in the mid sixties, this will bring you down a few more degrees.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
otis34
Recipes 

I'm not a fan of that yeast at all. In my opinion it is well worth it to spend the extra money and get a good liquid ale strain. Here are some options.

Wyeast 1007 mod attn..accentuates malt
Wyeast 1084-WLP004 mod/low attn.
Wyeast 1338-WLP011 very low attenuation..would leave beer very malty and sweet.

You can look up the full descriptions and decide which is best for you, but you want a clean yeast will mod low to low attenuation so the malt flavors will come out strong.

Edit: I would drop the late hop additions to .5 oz for 10-20 min. There should be very little hop aroma/flavor in this style. Pilsner would be better than 2-row for the base malt. Do a search for oktoberfest ale, this has been a hot topic on here lately.

Reason: forgot hop schedule

Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Acme
Recipes 

Thanks for the notes. The recipe is a hybrid of a few I saw in various spots and the grains are all crushed and mixed. I didn't mean to "sub" the pilsner grain, just stuck with the european angle. Not being a great grain mind and being short on time, I had to pick something. Had no clue what I might be gaining or losing. Ah, learning.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
douglasbarbin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would stay away from the Danstar Munich as well. In my experience, it produces a good amount of esters, probably more than you would want in an Oktoberfest-style ale.

Quick Reply