Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast: A Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I very rarely use dry yeast, but when I saw this new offering from Danstar at the LHBS and read about it's apparently high attenuation and flocculation characteristics, I figured I'd give 'er go. From what I've read of others' experiences with this yeast, it sounds incredibly similar to my go-to American strain, WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. Yesterday (2/24/13), I brewed 11 gallons of Brulosopher's Dark Brown Ale then split it into two fermenters. On one half I sprinkled the BRY-97 while the other got a 2 L starter of WLP002 (harvested from a starter in 12/2012)- I figured the 002 would serve as a good liquid yeast comparison, plus I've been meaning to make this beer with that yeast anyways. My plan is to update this thread throughout the fermentation process and until the beer is being consumed. Here we go!

Some basic details... mashed at 152F for 65 mins, pitched at 64F, ferment temp 66F.

The WLP002 (Phil) was off to the races just 6 hours after pitching and was going pretty crazy 18 hours in; the BRY-97 (Gary) has yet to show any signs of fermentation. I'm not at all concerned about this, for a couple reasons- first off, I did not rehydrate (I don't really see the point with dry yeasts, cue haters now ), and secondly, this I've read all over the web that this yeast is slow to take off and usually gets going after 36 hours or so.

More to come...

Montanaandy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

As of this evening, about 30 hours after pitching, I'm still seeing no solid activity in Gary. Again, I'm not concerned, I've read it can take upwards of 36 hours to get going, then it rips. We'll see.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
WDT
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think you'll like it. I love a good ipa with 002 and I did batch with the bry 97 and it came out great. Fermented on the cooler side (about 62-63) and them warmed it up to 68-69 for the dry hop. Came out nice and bright with lots of hop character. Had a little more of a tart character (fruitiness?) than the 002.

I also noticed a slight lag, I primary in glass carboys and it had a mini Krausen for a day or so before the air lock started bubbling.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

@ WDT: I'm looking forward to it! Like I mentioned, I almost never use dry yeasts (maybe 1-2 times/year), so I have neutral expectations.

As of this morning, Gary's airlock is bubbling... very, very slowly- about once every 25 seconds. It's sitting right around 63F. Meanwhile, Phil has slowed down a bit and will probably be completely fermented out by the time Gary really gets going. If things aren't moving along 12 hours from now (whenever I'm home from work), I'll crank up the temp in the chamber a couple degrees to see if the yeasts respond to a warmer environment.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
bja
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
As of this morning, Gary's airlock is bubbling...

Phil has slowed down a bit...
Seriously?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

F250 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja

Seriously?
Don't hate

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
bja
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Don't hate
No hate. More like WTF? Usually when people name their beers, it's a little more descriptive.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

F250 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
russrob81
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I did an apa Sunday 2/24 with same danstar American west coast ale yeast and have seen no activity yet. Didn't rehydrate either. First experience with dry yeast since mr beer kits 2 years ago was starting to get a little concerned as I had a little too much hb wee heavy while brewing. Need to stop doing that. Any whom ferm temps are between 60-63 on laundry room floor maybe that's making a little less active also

Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja

No hate. More like WTF? Usually when people name their beers, it's a little more descriptive.
Those aren't the beer names, just the fermenters.

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|
Opiate42 Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

BRY-97 doesn't really like it at those temps and will take a little longer to get going, as well as finish the job. If it's sluggish, I'd up the temp a bit.

I've used it a fair bit, and it's a good yeast, just lags a bit, ferments clean and fast, and takes forever for the krausen and yeast to drop in the primary. I give it a decent week long crash, and then rack to the keg to cold condition and dry hop. Comes out clearer and cleaner than US05.

It will mute your bitterness, so if you are using it in a beer that needs the bitterness to support/balance a malt backbone, be warned. When it does crash, it takes some of the hops with it.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply