Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > A couple yeast harvesting questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
qulith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A couple yeast harvesting questions

I am going to try to harvest yeast for the first time new week.

1) I have a batch of Pale ale that has been in the primary fermentor 3 weeks and I just wanted to confirm that there should still be dormant viable yeast after that length of time. The yeast is the Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

2) I plan on brewing 2 different beers, a high gravity IIPA and then a low gravity session beer. I was reading Palmer's chapter on pitch rates and calculating yeast cell counts of starters. How do I determine the original yeast cell count of my harvested/washed yeast so I can prepare the correct starters for each of the beers?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by qulith View Post
I am going to try to harvest yeast for the first time new week.

1) I have a batch of Pale ale that has been in the primary fermentor 3 weeks and I just wanted to confirm that there should still be dormant viable yeast after that length of time. The yeast is the Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

2) I plan on brewing 2 different beers, a high gravity IIPA and then a low gravity session beer. I was reading Palmer's chapter on pitch rates and calculating yeast cell counts of starters. How do I determine the original yeast cell count of my harvested/washed yeast so I can prepare the correct starters for each of the beers?

Thanks!
Allow your washed slurry to settle in a cylinder in the fridge. Then quess/estimate the vollume of the liquid on top to the yeast on the bottom. Decant the liquid until you have about 60% liquid to 40% yeast. Now, stir it all up to make a slurry and decant 6 oz of slurry to your pitching vessel. This will be approximatly 10 million cells/ml in 5gallons of wort. Double that for a HG brew. Hope this helps... Cheers

Old 09-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
qulith
Recipes 

Thanks.

So don't have to make a starter for the HG beer?

Quick Reply