Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Couple questions about making a starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
cincybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Couple questions about making a starter

I plan on brewing an extract hef with the wyeast 3068. I have some old DME (back from December) that has been closed, not sealed, in a box in the pantry. I'm assuming this is too old to use as a starter but was hoping someone could confirm.

If it is too old then I'll have to use the DME that comes with the recipe, so I guess I would have to add the entire starter to my wort vs. decanting it, correct? If I decanted it my understanding is that it would have less extract in the batch and would probably end up with a lower SG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

If the DME is still powdery, it'll be fine. Only time I ever had to toss DME was once when I hadn't brewed in a looooonnnnnnggggg time (>1 yr), I grabbed my bag of extract (maybe 1/2 lb) and it had the density and consistency of a big pencil eraser.

It'll almost certainly be fine.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

As long as the old DME isnt clumped up and tastes sweet I'd go for it with it. Don't see why it would be affected, infection would be a concern but it's getting boiled anyway.

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Awesome, thanks. The old DME seems to be the same consistency as the DME I just purchased.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've used 10 year old DME before now. It is just sugar. Sugar will last for years. Even if it becomes a block (mine was still powdery in sealed pack) it will be fine. The concentration of sugar is too high for any contaminants to thrive on it.

Like honey, there might be some contaminants on the surface, but they don't thrive and heating will kill them.

Quick Reply