New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Could a sudden drop of 5-6 degrees cause my ale yeast to go dormant and not finish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Could a sudden drop of 5-6 degrees cause my ale yeast to go dormant and not finish?

Was fermenting 70-71 when we had a cold snap and brought my wort temp down to around 66/67 on the 3rd day. Back up to 70 the day after. Could that have made my yeast go dormant and not finish my beer as expected?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

What makes you think your yeast went dormant and your beer didn't finish fermenting?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What makes you think your yeast went dormant and your beer didn't finish fermenting?
FG is 1.028 after 6 days. About 53% attenuation

Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

Revvy makes a good point - the beer might be done already. You gotta take a gravity reading to know).

But also to answer your question, it's possible. Just don't get worried and think this is the difference between a syrup beer and a good beer... the difference would probably just be a couple gravity points.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

No, it's not the temp. That's not a huge drop....Ale yeast doesn't go dormant til the low to mid 50's.

And if it's only been fermenting for 6 days, I'm thinking there's anything wrong, it's just doing what it needs to do. Yeast don't really follow instructions all that well...being that they can't read they don't know that we humans think it takes them a week to ferment.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My brewing friend says to add a packet of Nottingham dry yeast. Do you think thats a good idea or just let it sit. I have no problem letting it sit.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

I don't think there's any reason to "fix something" by adding more yeast when quite frankly I don't think there's anything wrong....It's only been going 6 days....I don't even begin looking at my beer's gravitys til it's been 10-12 days. And since I tend to walk away for a month normally I rarely even do that.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't think there's any reason to "fix something" by adding more yeast when quite frankly I don't think there's anything wrong....It's only been going 6 days....I don't even begin looking at my beer's gravitys til it's been 10-12 days. And since I tend to walk away for a month normally I rarely even do that.
I was leaning that way. My brewing mentor is old school(1994-present) and still uses a secondary/dry yeast.... blah blah.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
BeernuT100
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A 1 degree temp movement is enough to change the mood of yeast. However, in that temp range I do not see any reason for them to go dorment. They have merely slowed down. Possibly they are in shock but should recover in a few days. If not let us know.

-bn

Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

i usually ferment in the low 60's.

just had a porter take all of two weeks to hit terminal.

Quick Reply