Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > cottage cheesy smack pack anyone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default cottage cheesy smack pack anyone??

hi everyone, opinions wanted please! i get all my stuff in the post since there aren't any local supply places here. everything is delivered the next day since the country is small. my wyeast packs have always arrived in good health and fermented away in the starters. but the last one i got was weird. it's 1968 london, with a manufacture date this september. it was ballooned out as if smacked when it arrived, fully inflated but not quite about to explode. of course the nutrient pack was already broken. i read around a bit and saw that other people have sometimes had this happen but that the yeast was fine. since i want to brew pretty soon i decided to throw this into the starter and check how much yeast i harvested at the end, which i can just rinse and measure the slurry volume. rather than complain and have another re-sent. when i opened the package after giving it a good shake and poured it into the starter it was cottage cheesy, really clumpy. i have never seen this before, even in a more flocculent yeast. i gave it a good shake and it seemed to go into suspension, so it's stirring away now (i'm at work so i won't check it for a few hours). i resealed the empty pack and took it to work where i pipetted in a ml of sterile water to rinse and then took off a ml into a fresh tube, and it was really chunky cheesy. i shook and vortexed, it's still chunky. i will plate some of this out to see if odd things grow, or if nothing grows. but meanwhile has anyone seen this before?? how can it be lumpy/chunky?? thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2709 Times on 1628 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

There are so many different strains of yeast, and not all of them look the same, many indeed look like cottage cheese, and even form what I call "krausen Kurdels" on the surface of the beer.

Relax.

Fermentation is ugly and stinky, even when perfectly normal.

Remember the ONLY way to know how a yeast is performing is to make a starter with it. Not judging it by appearances. Make a starter and you'll know whether the yeast is viable or not.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
dinnerstick
Recipes 

hm, has anyone had chunkiness specifically with fullers/1968? i have used it a few times before and never seen anything like this. well i should know in a few hours how healthy the yeast is, and i have enough time to build up the cell count no matter what.
thanks

Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick
hm, has anyone had chunkiness specifically with fullers/1968? i have used it a few times before and never seen anything like this. well i should know in a few hours how healthy the yeast is, and i have enough time to build up the cell count no matter what.
thanks
Yup, 1968 is some pretty chunky stuff, not to worry

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Callacave
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same here. Cottage cheese looking. Made a pumpkin ale with it, and the beer came out great.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1052

Shake the heck out of it before opening and maybe it won't be as chunky. I've seen some pretty good chunks from some yeast starters and vials.

Now if it SMELLS cheesy, you might have a problem.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 34

1968 is extremely clumpy. When it's churning on my stir-plate, I refer to it as the "egg drop soup":

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
dinnerstick
Recipes 

great, thanks everyone for the reassurance. i've just never seen it like that before, so was being cautious!! i still don't get why my 'lab sample' stayed very chunky after some heavy borderline abusive shaking, but upon returning home the starter is clearly happy as a pig in detritus.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
dinnerstick
Recipes 

at 18 hours the starter was normal for an active starter, creamy and frothy, and at 24h looked like the canucker's flocky starter video above. finished fermenting, packed up, sign in the window, gone fishing. excellent. i know i'm repeating myself but i've just never seen this from this strain before. the last few times i used it was harvested, stored a few months, rinsed, and regrown in new starters, i wonder if my memory is fading and i selected for less flocculent cells. anyways thanks again all

Quick Reply