Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Corny kegs for fermennting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
AlkiBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Corny kegs for fermennting?

I'm just getting getting set up to start kegging and was wondering about using Corny kegs as a fermenter. Would appreciate any input/advise, pros & cons. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've done it before, but wouldn't do it again. For one thing, you'll get maybe 4-4.5 gallons out of a corny keg (5 gallon keg). For another, you need to modify the keg in order to ferment in it. At the very least, you pull the gas post, slip a short piece of tubing over the fitting, to secure the airlock to. Or you get one of the fermenting lids, or make one yourself. Personally, more trouble than it's worth.

I DO ferment in adapted sanke kegs though. I use tall 1/4 bbl kegs for my normal size batches (of beer). I have an adapted 50L keg for larger batches too. I also have several 1/6 bbl kegs that I use for mead and such (smaller volumes). I've adapted these to include a gas post on the top of them. I then use one of my sanke fermenter caps (my own design) so that I can ferment in them, have a thermowell in the middle, and then use CO2 to push the finished beer out of the keg. I have dip tubes cut to leave a certain amount behind in the kegs, so transfers are pretty easy.

If you can't score some sanke kegs for fermenting, then I would advise continuing to use what you are now.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

I do pressurized fermentation in corny kegs without any modifications to the keg.
You must use fermcap to do this or you will loose too much beer for this to be an effective fermentor.
I plug in my "blow off catcher" into the gas in line and install a spunding valve for pressurized fermentation.
Lots of threads on how to do this, I also use the same setup for a traditional fermentation just without the spunding valve and a little sanitized (or pre-boiled water if I want to top crop yeast) water in the "blow off catcher" to create an air lock.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
dslater
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've probably done a dozen batches in cornies. Use some fermcap, remove the gas post and slip some tubing over the threaded post and attach an air lock, you'll be fine. Do it once or twice and see how it works for you.

The down side for me was cleaning the keg when done. Getting all that trub out was brutal.

I'm back to better bottles now.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
AlkiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guys, thanks for the input & info. I was wondering if their would be enough room in a corny to ferment a 5 gallon batch. I saw this blow off valve and it got me thinking about using corny kegs for fermenting.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...oducts_id=1456

Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Has anyone had any experience carbonating in one of these like a giant bottle conditioning?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I've done some 3 and 4 gallon batches in cornys. I'm currently using one for a secondary for a sour beer. It's a very tight fit with five gallons. I have to be careful about opening the lid to avoid getting it in the beer.

With fermcap you should be able to fit a full five gallon batch in it.

Yes, cornys can be naturally carbonated.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by edds5p0 View Post
Has anyone had any experience carbonating in one of these like a giant bottle conditioning?
The closed pressure fermentation guys carb this way without having to add priming sugar or external CO2. There's an entire thread dedicated to this procedure.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i'm now a habitual corny fermenter since my temp control system is based around one, and it fits perfectly with my 20L system
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-u...l-junk-350722/
the size limitations concerns are valid but indeed you can maximize space with fermcap, that stuff is a dream, and by adding a bit of pressure with a spunding valve. i don't think cleaning is a problem at all; a rinse in hot water (with a hose) and an overnight oxyclean soak, all that gud comes right off
i either ferment with no pressure, with the out dip tube removed (replaced by an in tube) and a blowoff tube on one of the ball locks, or with the out tube in place and crank up the pressure towards the end to carbonate in the keg, then pressurized transfer to a lagering/serving keg.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just did this for the first time 2 weeks ago. Instead of ferm cap (didn't have any) I split my batch into two 5gal cornys. I have slightly under 3gal in each keg. I pulled out the liquid dip tube and post, and just put 1/2'' ID tube over the liquid outlet, and secured it with a hose clamp. With about 2 gallons of head space, I got no blow off out of the keg.. seemed to work great. No permanent modifications were made to the kegs.

My problem now is trying to figure out how to get the beer out, and leave the yeast cake in tact so I can then wash the yeast. Tonight I will attempt to push it with CO2. My plan is to bend a dip tube (this is where I'll be guessing though since I have no idea how thick the cake is) so that I will just collect the beer at first. Then I will take a straight dip tube, insert it, add my sanitized "wash" water to the keg, swirl, and hopefully be able to push the yeast out. I'm not sure if this will work as smoothly as I'm hoping for though.... I'd love to hear some tips from the guys who have done this before.

As of now, I would definitely continue to use kegs. I brew by myself for the most part, and lifting 2.5-3 gal in a keg over the wall of my chest freezer ferm chamber is a lot easier then lifting a full glass carboy.

Quick Reply