Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Corn Vs. Cane sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
pcarey1222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corn Vs. Cane sugar

I have been breewing a belgian double clone in the primary for over a month. I was considering racking and adding sugar to a secondary fermentor.
The question is: how much sugar and what kind? When is cane sugar used and when is corn sugar used. I seem to find different answeres everywhere.

Lastly, if I do add sugar, what would I base the amount on? The yeast is a high gravity yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarey1222 View Post
I have been breewing a belgian double clone in the primary for over a month. I was considering racking and adding sugar to a secondary fermentor.
The question is: how much sugar and what kind? When is cane sugar used and when is corn sugar used. I seem to find different answeres everywhere.

Lastly, if I do add sugar, what would I base the amount on? The yeast is a high gravity yeast.
Cane vs. Corn sugar - either is fine, they both ferment completely so there shouldn't really be a difference, other than the fact that cane sugar contributes a bit more fermentables per lb. than corn sugar. So if you use cane sugar, use a bit less than if you used corn. Brewing software should tell you exact percentages, are you using any software?

As far as how much, it depends on your recipe and how dry you want it. What's your recipe and what is the gravity at now?

Also, not sure why you'd rack to secondary just to add the sugar. You could do that in primary. Then rack to secondary after that's all done fermenting out if you want to age/clear further.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
HopOnHops
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Chemically speaking corn sugar(dextrose) is pretty simple, it'll ferment fast, quick, and clean. I'm sure that's why it's the home brewers choice for priming, well that and it's cheap (damn government subsidies...)

Table sugar (sucrose) is a few steps more complex than dextrose. It'll have undergo about 3 conversions to get to where dextrose is at.

If you're adding a little bit the subtle nuances probably won't matter, if you're trying to bump abv by 1% then the sucrose might stress your yeast out a little more than dextrose leading so more ester(flavor/smell) production

Another thing to consider is that working over your yeast a second time might make more go to sleep and you will have less active yeast when it comes to prime time.

So why are you trying to add the sugar to the batch?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Glucose has been shown to lead to the production of more esters compared to a low-glucose wort. This is glucose specific, sucrose does not do this. I suspect that when the old Belgian brewers started to add sugars to their beers, it may partly have been to get the beers to have a drier finish, but equally so to promote ester formation (and cost and weird alcohol taxes). Fast forward to modern times, and seems that many homebrewers are unaware of the role in ester formation

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Interesting information!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
BrewandWineSupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another aspect to concider is taste. the Pepsi/ Mt. Dew throw back sodas re introduced last year are a good example. Modern day Pepsi is make for corn sugar, the throw backs were made with cane sugar. Which one do you like better. Not sure on the taste difference that would be in beer making.
BTW corn sugar disolves faster than cane sugar.

Beer, wine, distilling and cheese supplies and equipment, Coffee, teas, and sausage and jerky stuff. Kegging equipment too.
Stocking Lublin, Lomic, Junga, Marynka and other Polish hops.
http://Brewandwinesupply.com

Old 06-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 129

How active is your yeast? If its been in primary for a month, it's probably not that active. Adding sugars at this point will likely stress whatever yeast remains which will then produce eaters you may not want; Ye newly added sugars may not completely ferment out if most the yeast has gone dormant and you'll have a cloyingly sweet beer; or a combination of the two.

If you want to add sugar to a primary fermentation, it's best to do it at about 65% attenuation. This is when the yeast start to settle down and are getting tired eating the complex maltose. If you introduce sugar at this point, the simple sugars are very easy for the yeast to consume and you'll have no issues with either complete fermentation or off flavors.

My unsolicited recommendation is to leave your Dubbel be and try this out next time. good luck!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewandWineSupply
Another aspect to concider is taste. the Pepsi/ Mt. Dew throw back sodas re introduced last year are a good example. Modern day Pepsi is make for corn sugar, the throw backs were made with cane sugar. Which one do you like better. Not sure on the taste difference that would be in beer making.
BTW corn sugar disolves faster than cane sugar.
The sugar itself may taste different, but what do the fermented beers that had the different sugars taste like? They're very very hard to tell apart. Besides, if you want to be true to Belgian Brewing tradition, either one is right. The belgians use both sugar types. Get what's cheapest if youre going to add it.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
pcarey1222
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the information. I think I will skip adding sugar at this point and just rack to secondary in order to further clarify and age.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Glucose has been shown to lead to the production of more esters compared to a low-glucose wort. This is glucose specific, sucrose does not do this. I suspect that when the old Belgian brewers started to add sugars to their beers, it may partly have been to get the beers to have a drier finish, but equally so to promote ester formation (and cost and weird alcohol taxes). Fast forward to modern times, and seems that many homebrewers are unaware of the role in ester formation
if the yeast use invertase to make glucose from sucrose, why would using sucrose be any different?

Quick Reply