Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cooling wort by adding cold water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
jfowler1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
although Revvy has posted several times that there is no reason to fear adding tap water - i've never tried
Yes, then I agree with Revvy. You do not need to "fear" tap water in brewing. For the sake of making my point clearer, I am going to rephrase tap water as unboiled water. I am just saying that if you could choose between adding unboiled water, or not having to add unboiled water, (and keeping all else constant), you can not possibly argue that adding unboiled water is the better process........

......and no, it is not an equal process either.

Again, the OP's idea will work. Like I said, it is very sound logic. The better idea is still to not do it. Someone after me mentioned using campden tablets, boiling, then freezing their top-off water in a fermentation vessel. That goes even beyond what I described as a good "compromise". I am sure that works great, and you are doing everything you can to have the best chance for a good finished product, while working within the confines of your set-up. That's awesome. I was speaking more to the "but I always just add a bag of ice and it works out fine" set. Please see that there is a difference between a process that worked fine, and the process that works best. Some processes have bigger gaps than others. I fall into this trap too, but the advice to the OP should not always be as simple as "it worked fine for me".

It is a mistake to underplay the role of great sanitization. I just heard something on BBR that I will pass off as my own thought.

"Missing mash temperature by 1 degree will change your beer. Poor sanitization will ruin it."

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
redalert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have thought about doing this also though I have some sort of perhaps unsound fear that if I add water to an already boiled batch somehow chemically the wort will taste different. Like having 1 wort volume but in 2 pieces. After all, boiling wort is not unlike alchemy and at the chemical and atomic level, it seems like a full wort boil would not be the same as adding water post-boil and would essentially detract taste-wise from the final product. Anyone?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
RMitch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topend
My last batch was a wheat beer extract with a 3 gallon boil. After flame out I added two gallons of room temp water to the boil kettle and circulated ice water through a copper pipe wort chiller, and went from boil to pitch temp in under 15 minutes. This was a personal record for me. I then siphoned to the fermenter and added water to the 5-gallon mark.

When siphoning from the boil kettle to the fermenter I did not notice any greater amount of sediment than in previous batches. This batch has been in bottles for one week (still needs two more) and I cracked one open last night out of sheer curiosity. I did not notice any off flavors or additional sediment.

Of course others' experiences may vary, but it worked for me.
Why siphon pre-pitching? Might as well jus pour it in, no?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMitch View Post
carboy?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
RMitch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thats what a funnel is for

Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
JWest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can someone explain why it would be unsafe to mix tap water with wort, if the water is safe to drink? I understand the potential of off flavors from chlorine, minerals, etc., but as far as sanitation goes, it shouldn't make a difference, especially after the yeast starts doing its thing...

Old 03-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #17
RMitch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest
Can someone explain why it would be unsafe to mix tap water with wort, if the water is safe to drink? I understand the potential of off flavors from chlorine, minerals, etc., but as far as sanitation goes, it shouldn't make a difference, especially after the yeast starts doing its thing...
Depends on your tap water...just because it is "safe to drink" doesnt mean it is "bacteria free"

Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

speaking to question a few posts above:
We go through so much time (at least I do) in crafting the recipe .... oooh, 0.25 oz of hops or 0.5 oz.... which specialty malt....
& then the time to brew it- then some just wanna dump any old kind of water on top.

You can and MANY (most?) do, but I boil all my brew water. I can spare the ten or whatever minutes it takes. It is probably ok. But I like to treat the water and get rid of the chlorine/chloramines.

You can even pitch yeast to wort and add the top off water later when it cools down (if you cant boil it separately or you forget).

cheers.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #19
topend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMitch

I do that because I can hold the racking cane up a bit and aerate the wort as it goes into the fermenter, and also to let the bits of hop and such settle out in the kettle during the 3-5 minute siphon. I would rather that stuff not be in the fermenter.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
McDingleberry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always told not to use unboiled tap water because of the chlorine and possible contamination. I am planning on brewing my second batch within a week, and I plan to do the following. I will boil my top-off water the night before, let it cool a bit and put it into a sanitized carboy. I will then cover it and put it outside for the night (it's been about 35F here at night). Then on brew day, I will chill my wort in an ice bath down to around 100F and put into the fermentation bucket, then dump however much cold top-off water I need on top of it.

Quick Reply