New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > contamination risk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
RxLizard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default contamination risk

I am fairly new at homebrewing. I used my glass carboy with an airlock as my primary fermenter for my IPA. I already know my mistake and that next time I should use my bucket as primary and use a blowoff tube. That being said, here is my problem and question:

The fermentation was so violent it actually popped the top off of the airlock. This happened while I was at work today and I wasn't around to take care of it right away. I lost a fair amount of beer and ruined the carpet in my closet. I do not know how long the top was off and the beer was exposed to room air. I have since sanitized the airlock and put it back on the bung.

What should I do? Should I assume that it is contaminated and give up on the batch? I don't want to waste several weeks while trying to brew a beer that will be end up being ruined. On the other hand, I also don't want to waste the $50 dollars I spent on the supplies just to have to start over and spend it again. Is there any chance it will be okay?

What would you do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 811 Times on 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxLizard View Post
[...]What would you do?
Let it ride, and it will most likely be just fine...

Cheers!

Old 05-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
dankbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Let it ride, and it will most likely be just fine...

Cheers!
This. Don't worry and wait a few weeks.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Let it ride. Look at it this way, since your fermentation bucket is still open for business brew another beer and start getting the pipe line going.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
kapbrew13
Easy Is No Fun...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Co2 still coming out should have protected the brew a bit.
Always use a blow off tube and stick it in a container with enough free space for overflow.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 811 Times on 673 Posts

Seeing you're in the Lone Star State I'm going to guess it may have gotten pretty warm in that closet, which may have contributed to a boisterous fermentation. If that's the case, for your next batch you should consider trying to keep the brew temperature under 70°F (not ambient - the actual temperature of the beer). That'll help avoid generating "hot alcohols" (aka fusels) and/or solvent-flavored esters.

Google "swamp cooler", and consider getting a big plastic tub you can set the fermenter in and surround with water. With that you have some additional options, like draping a towel or t shirt over the fermenter so it hangs down in the water and draws it up for evaporative cooling, or dropping soda bottles filled with frozen water in there...

Cheers!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

I've blown the lid off two beers, not the top of the airlock, but the bucket lid, and both beer's were fine.

You have to realize that our beer is hardier than most newbs think, AND you have to get the idea of dumping batches because something doesn't seem right, or something happens, out of your head.

Read these threads and understand- What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?

And Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've blown the lid off two beers, not the top of the airlock, but the bucket lid, and both beer's were fine.

You have to realize that our beer is hardier than most newbs think, AND you have to get the idea of dumping batches because something doesn't seem right, or something happens, out of your head.

Read these threads and understand- What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?

And Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!
^That^ for sure! It's a lot harder to ruin your beer than most beginners think.... RDWHAHB, and read those threads Revvy posted...... twice.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
RxLizard
Recipes 

Thanks, everyone!

All the things I have read were so super cautious. I am glad I asked. Now that the foam has subsided, I have racked into my secondary with half an ounce of Kent Goldings.

The temperature in my closet is around 75 degrees. What I read said that ales should be fine at any constant temp below 80, but obviously you can't always take those things as gospel. I appreciate the tips, and will definitely keep it in mind for brews this summer when it is 100 oustide for 2 months straight in Dalls.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxLizard View Post
Thanks, everyone!

All the things I have read were so super cautious. I am glad I asked. Now that the foam has subsided, I have racked into my secondary with half an ounce of Kent Goldings.

The temperature in my closet is around 75 degrees. What I read said that ales should be fine at any constant temp below 80, but obviously you can't always take those things as gospel. I appreciate the tips, and will definitely keep it in mind for brews this summer when it is 100 oustide for 2 months straight in Dalls.
Soooo yesterday the fermentation was going along so violently that it popped the top off your fermenter, and today you racked to a secondary? I'd say that was likely way to early.

Quick Reply