Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Considering Safale US-05

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
ludomonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
What was the issue?

Just curious as in the future I may do an IIPA that would call for a large addition of sugar and may ferment around 72-75F
I got lots of acetaldehyde. This was a cream ale. For US-05, you should ferment in the mid-60s. If you have to ferment that warm, consider using a different adjunct, such as rice syrup solids or honey.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
Matterpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post
I got lots of acetaldehyde. This was a cream ale. For US-05, you should ferment in the mid-60s. If you have to ferment that warm, consider using a different adjunct, such as rice syrup solids or honey.
Crazy, I've never dumped sugar on S-05 before... guess it gets a little hot for it, huh.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
ubenumber2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bottled up a pale ale using S-05 , started at 1.055 and ended up at 1.006 , I taste hops and malt , no real yeast flavor to the beer , I brewed up an IPA using this yesterday so I hope it tuns out as well as my pale ale

Bottle Arky Pale Ale
Bottle Arky Abbey Ale
Bottle Dirty Amber Ale

Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

IMO WLP001, Wy1056 and USO5 are similarenough that the only way most, not all, people would notice much difference would be if you split a batch and fermented at the same temperatures then tasted them side by side.

I have come to keep a few packets on hand at all time so that I can quickly whip up an APA or IPA recipe and brew when I don't have time to make a starter with liquid yeast.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like what I am hearing about US-05, it may become my go to yeast. Cheaper than WLP001 and with an AA of 75-85%, that sounds like just what I need in my pale ales.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #26
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I´ve used many times and it´s my back up yeast. It´s pretty clean good attenautor. Flocculation is not very good. Good yeast overall.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
jkendal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
So for my entire homebrewing career (9-10 batches) I have always stuck with liquid yeast. I typically use WLP001 California Ale as I tend to hover around the paler, drier ales.

Recently I have been considering trying out dry yeast and was wondering what other brewers experiences with US-05 have been. What sort of flavor, if any, does it impart on the beer? I have read it is a rather transparent yeast and works well at accentuating the malt and hops but at higher temps it can produce some fruity flavors? Has anyone experienced this?

I enjoy hops and a lot of them. IPA and DIPA are my go to styles. Does this yeast compliment that or will it sit in the background and let those hops shine.

How is the attenuation and flocculation on this strain? Can I expect a clean, clear beer at the end or am I looking at a cloudy haze of a hung up fermentation?

Liquid yeast is just plain expensive and it seems dry yeast is more reliable and cheaper. So home brewers of this great portal of knowledge, unleash your praise and criticisms of US-05.
Before I was able to ferment in a fridge with temp control, US-05 wouldn't settle out for a long time (4 weeks and even longer and it was still a bit cloudy) so I avoided it in favor of WLP001. But now that I can cold crash, it clears out just fine - I prefer it now over WLP001 simply because it's cheaper and I don't have to make a starter. Ferment between 65-68 and it comes out very clean and neutral every time. It's a great yeast.

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #28
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
I like what I am hearing about US-05, it may become my go to yeast. Cheaper than WLP001 and with an AA of 75-85%, that sounds like just what I need in my pale ales.
If the only yeasts you have are US-05 and Nottingham you can brew almost any style you want with those 2 choices. I always have washed Notty or US-05 in my fridge ready to pitch to a starter.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #29
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never once been able to tell the difference between US-05 and WLP001. If I'm going to use liquid, I usually just go with WLP090 though. It tastes very similar to WLP001 to me but finishes fermenting slightly faster (which means I can go grain to glass in 2 weeks or so if I'm doing a light enough ale).

Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #30
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I don't like US-05 in lighter styles like blonde ales or american wheat because that peach ester just doesn't taste right to me. That being said I used it today in a IIPA. In most beers I can't tell the difference.

Quick Reply