New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Considering Safale US-05

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I thought the consensus was there isn't any difference between US-05, WLP001, and WY1056....its all chico.
I've heard that. But in my experience, WLP001 is my preference over the other two. I get better results at lower temperatures (my house is COLD), as I get "peachy" esters with s05 at under 64 degrees. Right now, I have 10 gallons of IPA fermented at 63 degrees with WLP001, and I know it will be great.

I also noticed that S05 never seems to want to clear for me, while the WLP001 drops out quickly in the cold.

Flavorwise, it seems that WLP001 "enhances" the hops better in a side to side comparison with the same wort but one pitched with S05 and one with WLP001.

I've used Wyeast 1056, but I don't recall if I noticed these things the last time I used it. It may be closer to S05 than I think WLP001 is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 476

I use it as my go to now. I used to love notty but 05 is just as quick and far more neutral. I agree that its a little hazy sometimes but I usually cold crash.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post
The only problem I've had with US-05 was in conjuction with >1lb sucrose and warmer-than-ideal fermentation. Don't mix those three things.
What was the issue?

Just curious as in the future I may do an IIPA that would call for a large addition of sugar and may ferment around 72-75F

Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I get better results at lower temperatures (my house is COLD), as I get "peachy" esters with s05 at under 64 degrees.
I think that subtle stone fruit character has been documented by a lot of people who use s05. I have experienced it in a few beers. However, it can complement certain hop combinations.

In general, I find the dry option to be fairly clean and don't hesitate to use it for a large majority of my beers. At the temps I generally ferment at, mid to upper 60's, the peach character is not noticeable to me and has never been commented on by anyone tasting the beers, including several of my club members, who are experienced BJCP judges.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use US-05 a lot. In regards to clarity I have no problems. I don't have a specific cold crash. I keg so the beer sits in the keg cold for all its life after fermentation. I also slow carb for 3-4 weeks before drinking. After that much time in the keg the beer is crystal clear. In fact I have had comments on clarity from contest judges.

If it matters for clarity I brew lots of beers in the 1040-1050 OG range. They are usually 6-8 SRM.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

I've never detected peachy/stone fruit esters with S05. I'll have to look for that next time. My next beer is probably going to be a FWH'ed IPA for my wife, so maybe I'll pick it up there.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've never detected peachy/stone fruit esters with S05. I'll have to look for that next time. My next beer is probably going to be a FWH'ed IPA for my wife, so maybe I'll pick it up there.
I haven't it noticed it at all when fermented above 64 degrees, and it's "clean" for me up until about 73 degrees. So if I had a room at 68 degrees, I'd probably grab the S05 preferentially. But at cool temperatures (under 64, most often closer to 62), I've picked it up in every single one of my beers, even the amarillo/simcoe hopped (that I thought would cover any esters).

For those 60-64 temperatures, I actually prefer S04. S04 is extremely clean at under 65 degrees, but over 64, gets estery (in a bad way) quickly so I don't like it for most English beers that get estery in a good way.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you pitch it at the proper temp it will be identical to 001. The only time I have ever had any noticeable off flavors (clove) was when I pitched it way too warm--90+ (I was rushing it).

Other than that S-05 has been amazing! I always keep a few packs on hand just in case!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, like a lot of yeasts, it seems to have specific temps where it performs a little differently, but that's pretty standard.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
jdgapc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

S-05 is my go to yeat, unless im making a belgian or wheat beer, something that relys on a specific yeat, otheriwse 05 is perfect, cheaper than liquid yeast too.

Quick Reply