Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Considering Safale US-05

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
ApothecaryBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Considering Safale US-05

So for my entire homebrewing career (9-10 batches) I have always stuck with liquid yeast. I typically use WLP001 California Ale as I tend to hover around the paler, drier ales.

Recently I have been considering trying out dry yeast and was wondering what other brewers experiences with US-05 have been. What sort of flavor, if any, does it impart on the beer? I have read it is a rather transparent yeast and works well at accentuating the malt and hops but at higher temps it can produce some fruity flavors? Has anyone experienced this?

I enjoy hops and a lot of them. IPA and DIPA are my go to styles. Does this yeast compliment that or will it sit in the background and let those hops shine.

How is the attenuation and flocculation on this strain? Can I expect a clean, clear beer at the end or am I looking at a cloudy haze of a hung up fermentation?

Liquid yeast is just plain expensive and it seems dry yeast is more reliable and cheaper. So home brewers of this great portal of knowledge, unleash your praise and criticisms of US-05.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
jimsnewbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used it almost exclusively in the 10 batches that I have brewed. Most of my brews have also been pale ales or IPAs. I find it to be quite neutral. even tasting the stuff in the bottom of the bottle, there are no unexpected or unwanted flavors. I have fermented all of my batches between 67 and 69 Deg F.

Everyone was born with a photographic memory. The problem is that not everyone got film.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I was a solid Wyeast guy for a long time, but then I started using dry yeast to save time. I came to realize that the taste difference is very subtle in most beers and sometimes there's none at all.

I was never too picky about yeasts anyway, regularly using only 2-3 different ale yeasts and 2 lager strains. The switch was more a result of having kids and no longer having the time to deal with starters on my limited brew days.

I started with Nottingham but didn't really like its flavor profile. I pretty much rely on US-05 now and the other SafAle yeasts depending on what I am brewing. For my current situation, no starters, nearly unlimited storage time and quick fermentations are more important than the subtle taste differences that liquid yeast can sometimes provide. I'm not looking for 40+pts in competitions so I don't need that "ever so slight English esters on the back of the tongue"-thing.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I usually use liquid yeasts because I can get more variety than I can with dry, but in the case of US-05, WLP001, or WY1056 I honestly cannot tell the difference, so if that's the yeast I want for a brew, I go for the US-05.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Matterpro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I only use liquid or smack packs if it's a strain I can't get dry. Dry is easy, fast fermenting and cheap. And as for s-05, it's pretty much the same as 001 and 1056. I've brewed 1056 and s-05 next to each other and can't really tell a difference that I could say came down to the yeast over any other variable. And NO STARTER is needed for dry. Just aerate your wort, sprinkle it on and you're off to the races.

As far as your questions about taste, as with any yeast the warmer you go, the more esters you'll get, but s-05 (like 1056) is very neutral and great for IPA's, and is forgiving at room temps. I've fermented at 75 (and then the yeast got going they rose the temp to 78) and it still came out clean. If you want the hops to shine, this yeast is a top pick for an American IPA, especially if you can control temps at about 68-69 degrees F.

It also attenuates well, usually averages to 80% for me. Use the MrMalty Calculator to see how many pouches you need, but if it's under 1.060 for a 5(5.25) gallon batch one pouch is all you need.

The yeast does not like to flocculate though (which is why they attenuate so well), so you will need to cold crash for a few days to get them to sleep and drop out. For lighter beers I want super bright, I also use Gelatin during the cold crash and it comes out SUPER clear.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 57

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/tom-...riment-242953/ - You're Welcome!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I usually use liquid yeasts because I can get more variety than I can with dry, but in the case of US-05, WLP001, or WY1056 I honestly cannot tell the difference, so if that's the yeast I want for a brew, I go for the US-05.

-a.
I thought the consensus was there isn't any difference between US-05, WLP001, and WY1056....its all chico.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I've had nothing but predictible fermentations and clean tasting beers using US-05 dry or washed for up to 4 generations.

For me I see no need to spend $7 for liquid yeast when I can pay $3 for US-05 and wash and reuse it for 4 batches.

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I thought the consensus was there isn't any difference between US-05, WLP001, and WY1056....its all chico.
I agree, but some people say they can taste a difference, and there are other yeasts that are supposedly the same strain, but which I find very different such as WLP013 vs WY1028, or WLP023 vs WY1275

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

The only problem I've had with US-05 was in conjuction with >1lb sucrose and warmer-than-ideal fermentation. Don't mix those three things.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Quick Reply