Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Conical fermenters and washing/saving yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
kanzimonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Conical fermenters and washing/saving yeast

I'd like to buy a conical fermenter soon. One thing I've been excited about is the ability and ease of saving yeast from batch to batch. Anybody want to describe their methods here?

Specifically I'm curious about if you drain the entire yeast/trub clump and then wash yeast like the rest of us do (add water, swirl, let settle, collect suspended yeast) or do you try and differentiate between the different layers of yeast and trub (as in, drain off the bottom layer of trub, collect and save the middle layer of yeast, drain off the stuff on top)?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I do the first dump 2 days in this is the trub not much yeast throw that away . 2 days later I do another I usually toss this also . I then let it sit on the cake for a couple of weeks and keep what comes out its usually all nice yeast

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you just opening the valve on a really slow flow and then stopping the second you see wort/beer coming out?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Droot
Recipes 

On the second day I draw out 8 ounces and dump it. On the 4th or 6th day If its ALL yeast, I open it up for more. I have got two cups yeast in one dump. Like springer, its every 2 days. I have a fridge full (a years worth) of washed yeast so now I toss it

Its the balls!

yeast.jpg

I think that is all yeast. I dumped the trub already. After it sits, the foam dissolves into the same stuff on the bottom and beer. I don't think it needs much washing.

I have used washed yeast twice. So far its great.

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
Specifically I'm curious about if you drain the entire yeast/trub clump and then wash yeast like the rest of us do (add water, swirl, let settle, collect suspended yeast) or do you try and differentiate between the different layers of yeast and trub (as in, drain off the bottom layer of trub, collect and save the middle layer of yeast, drain off the stuff on top)?
Definitely the latter. It takes some practice to recognize good yeast, and every strain is different. I used three strains in my last professional gig - WLP051, WLP550 and WLP820 - and each was different to judge when drawing yeast from the cone. So you'll have your work cut out for you.

Quote:
Are you just opening the valve on a really slow flow and then stopping the second you see wort/beer coming out?
That's the way I've always done it. With ball valves that can be problematic, especially if the trub layer is thick. It's certainly simpler to do with a butterfly valve. But yeah. Don't forget to remove the airlock before cracking the valve! It won't do to suck sanitizer back into the tank.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Quick Reply