Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Confused by Nottingham yeast rehydration instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
boscobeans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
Hah nice, so one could also say "some" hehe
Yup. Mix 2 ounces of concentrate with 2 ounces of diluent to get 4 ounces total.
Then add 4 ounces of diluent to arrive at 8 ounces, then 8 ounces of diluent...and so on and on it goes. LOL

Tempering, like in cooking is the same thing like Homercidal stated.

bosco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Interesting information. It roughly agrees with the label on, IIRC, the Lalvin 71b packet, which says to wait no more than 45 minutes after hydrating before pitching.

I broke that rule once. It didn't kill all the yeast. They still ate all the sugar in my mead. SO IT'S ALL A LIE!

Er, no, so it's probably not the end of the world if it takes longer, but it's always good to know what the best practices are before you go violate them.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #13
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
I emailed Danstar about these same questions. The answer to the timing question was: “Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot.” I avoid having a delay by having the rehydration complete 10 – 15 minutes after the wort is ready for it.

I asked if it is acceptable to cool it in a cold water bath instead of adding some wort to it. The answer: “Regarding cooling, indeed you can use a cool water bath, or you could add a bit of wort to the yeast/rehydration water blend to get it closer to pitching temperature.”
Thanks everyone for the explainations. They sure know how to make something more complex than it needs to be. And watch out for those petite mutants!

Blogging about my home brewing experiences at BrewinMyOwn.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Quick Reply