Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Confused by Nottingham yeast rehydration instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Confused by Nottingham yeast rehydration instructions

Can anyone help me understand the Nottingham yeast rehydration instructions:

• Sprinkle the yeast on the surface of 10 times its weight of clean, sterilized (boiled) water at 30–35°C.
Do not use wort, or distilled or reverse osmosis water, as loss in viability will result. DO NOT STIR. Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes, then stir to suspend the yeast completely, and leave it for 5 more minutes at 30–35°C. Then adjust temperature to that of the wort and inoculate without delay.
  • Attemperate in steps at 5-minute intervals of 10°C to the temperature of the wort by mixing aliquots of wort. Do not allow attemperation to be carried out by natural heat loss. This will take too long and could result in loss of viability or vitality.
  • Temperature shock, at greater than 10°C, will cause formation of petite mutants leading to long-term or incomplete fermentation and possible formation of undesirable flavours.
  • Nottingham British Ale yeast has been conditioned to survive rehydration. The yeast contains an adequate reservoir of carbohydrates and unsaturated fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is unnecessary to aerate wort.

The bit that I'm not sure about is the second part. What are 'aliquots of wort'? I guess it's small amounts taken from the cooling wort, but how much? It sounds like it needs to be pitched within 5 or 10 minutes after the post-stir 5 minuite wait. Timing it this precise would be tricky to get it to coincide with when the wort has chilled to the right pitching temperature. I prefer minimum handling to reduce risk of contamination, so this 'aliquots of wort' business sounds like a risky proposition to me. I'll probably just play it safe and pitch dry as I usually do with Safale yeasts but I'm curious.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Wow that whole second step there, I've never seen that on any of my Notty packs. Too complicated...I do the first step, yep, and I leave it without stirring for as long as I need it - up to 30-45 minutes maybe, depending on how long it takes to cool my wort. I then stir it, let it sit a few minutes maybe, and dump it in. Sometimes I just dump after the long wait, no stir.

The re-hydration I've found does help Nottingham kick in faster, I get some pretty fast starts with it when pitching a new pack like this.

Wonder what an aliquot is....

Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You are likely only dropping the temperature of the rehydrated yeast by about 10°C and hence could probably do it with one addition of your wort.
You could just measure the temperature of the yeast solution as you add the wort until you reach the temperature you want. As you have mentioned sanitation is the key word.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
Wonder what an aliquot is....
Aliquot ! Wow haven't heard that since the Pharmacy Board exams.

Basically a fancy way of saying a portion or part of the whole.

bosco

Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
Aliquot ! Wow haven't heard that since the Pharmacy Board exams.

Basically a fancy way of saying a portion or part of the whole.

bosco
Hah nice, so one could also say "some" hehe

Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 21

in cooking terms we call it tampering. what it wants you to do is slowly add small amounts of wort in intervals to bring the temperature of the yeast up to the temp of the wort to avoid shock

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 168

When I last rehydrated I searched this forum for the amount. I forget the amount but it is not much. I then just left the cup on the counter with sanitized tin foil covering it. I cooled the wort to about 70 to pitch, then put it in my swamp cooler. I didn't worry too much about the water amount or temperature and my fermentation started within 4 hours.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Just like tempering for cooking. You are trying to adjust the temp in stages. In cooking simply mixing to very disparate ingredients can curdle or cook one of them before it's had a chance to integrate. In this case you are simply trying to get the yeast sort of used to it's new home. It's like placing a baggie of fish in the aquarium before you cut it bag open and let the fish swim freely.

And now I have a new brewing term to bug my wife with!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Time is not an issue once you are adding the small amounts of wort because you are adding resources to keep the yeast going. The problem comes when you rehydrate then let the now active yeast sit around and starve.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I emailed Danstar about these same questions. The answer to the timing question was: “Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot.” I avoid having a delay by having the rehydration complete 10 – 15 minutes after the wort is ready for it.

I asked if it is acceptable to cool it in a cold water bath instead of adding some wort to it. The answer: “Regarding cooling, indeed you can use a cool water bath, or you could add a bit of wort to the yeast/rehydration water blend to get it closer to pitching temperature.”

Quick Reply