Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Conan Yeast Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #251
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1016 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMalachi View Post
What about if its not in the fridge lol
Probably still a good amount of live cells. Only one way to find out. Make a good size starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #252
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMalachi View Post
What about if its not in the fridge lol
You really only need one living colony to get something going. It'd help to know how much is alive so you can do the right size starter, but I start yeast off with just the size of a pin head worth of yeast and make them up from that big. I would assume 10% of whatever would normally be in there is alive at this point.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #253
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Probably still a good amount of live cells. Only one way to find out. Make a good size starter.
actually, if the yeast has been kept unrefrigerated he shouldn't go too big. probably best to step it up. start with 400 ml, then move up to 2 L.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #254
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1016 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
actually, if the yeast has been kept unrefrigerated he shouldn't go too big. probably best to step it up. start with 400 ml, then move up to 2 L.

I've actually gone with both methods. I seem to get great results with larger starters with low gravity. I just let it run on the stir plate longer. I get lots of healthy yeast much faster than stepping up. I can't say I've ever detected off flavors in any way.

Of coarse, your results might vary....

Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #255
wlssox524
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm on my second step of a conan starter and have a question. Here's my progression so far:
-.1 L of 1.020 wort, intermittent shaking for 3 days. Slight signs of fermentation with bubbling and wispy yeast by the end
-.4L of 1.030 wort-I've got this, plus the .1L from step 1, on the stir plate right now. I've made several starters before but never one that's behaved quite like this. First, even after 5 total days the starter still smells very fruity/citrusy, but maybe that's because of the heady topper I pitched? Secondly, I've never had a starter with so much krausen while on the stirplate (normally I get no krausen at all). The foam shows no signs of subsiding after 48 hours on the stirplate (see pic). Should I wait till it drops before moving to the next step? Should I decant or just add more wort if the container is big enough? Thanks!

photo-1-.jpg  

Old 07-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #256
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I'm no expert, but I say you wait till it ferments out (assuming its not due to the krausen) and just pitch the new wort on top if your container is large enough.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #257
TNTgill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Can anyone tell me if Conan would be good in a punkin' ale?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #258
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Grabbed some HT this weekend. When I asked they said it was probably 10th generation. Would it be worth while growing some up, or am I going to get poor performance and off flavors?

On a side note, maybe it was an off night, but they don't seem to be the friendliest bunch around.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #259
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
Grabbed some HT this weekend. When I asked they said it was probably 10th generation. Would it be worth while growing some up, or am I going to get poor performance and off flavors?

On a side note, maybe it was an off night, but they don't seem to be the friendliest bunch around.
John Kimmich is a nice guy, the other staff seem to be tired of fielding requests and questions from pretty much everyone. They were the least helpful last time I was home and hunting for some HT. I got the, "Look at our website, bye!" response when I asked if they knew of any places that were recently distributed to.

Luckily found some though. I think, regardless of generation, Conan is worth harvesting. The flavors it brings to the batch are worth it. My first harvest was an older generation and it only attenuated to about 72%, maybe have been my fault, but the beer was still delicious.

I am waiting to harvest from new cans until I can get some ECY Northeast yeast which is supposed to be commercial Conan. And my Starter setup is currently growing me some Kellerweiss yeast.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #260
powermd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm working on a Conan Citra/Amarillo Apricot this week, and had some questions for the group.

Although I do have HT to harvest from, I wanted a pure sample and obtained some ECY29. The bottle says it's good to pitch for a 5 gallon batch, so I would estimate that to be somewhere in the range of 100-200B cells. I took 25 mL of this and put it in a 500 mL 1.040 starter. My plan is to step up to 2L at the 48 hr mark, and then 48 hrs later I should be good to pitch for a 6.5 gallon batch. I should have at least 250B cells by then, right? Yes, I'm using a stir plate.

My plan for the beer is as follows:

6.5G batch
4 1/2 lb White Wheat
6 1/2 lb Maris Otter pale malt
Mash for 90 min at 150F, batch sparge.

60 min boil
5/8 oz Magnum at 60 min (27.4 IBU)
1 oz Citra at 5 min
1 oz Citra whirlpool at 180F for 20 min
Conan yeast pitch at 66F, ferment to 1.008 if possible over 10 days
0.5 oz Amarillo dry hop for 8 days with 1 can Apricot puree
2 oz Apricot extract at kegging/bottling

Any thoughts on the grain/hop schedule, or the amount of apricot extract?
Will the lack of Caramalt hurt much? I don't really care about the head here, I just want a really drinkable smooth and fruity ale.

Quick Reply