Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Conan Yeast Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I just kegged a Beer that i brewed 3.5 weeks ago with Conan.

Conan DIPA

10 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Vienna
1 lb wheat

Mashed at 153

OG: 1.073
FG: 1.012

ABV ~ 8%

60 min 1.5 warrior

5 min
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Whirlpool (170) - 30 minutes
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Dry Hop - 5 days
2 oz simcoe
1 oz Columbus
1 oz Amarillo

Sample tasted really good. Tropical and also some slight dankness from the columbus. Very excited to get this chilled and carbed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by InityBrew View Post
I just kegged a Beer that i brewed 3.5 weeks ago with Conan.

Conan DIPA

10 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Vienna
1 lb wheat

Mashed at 153

OG: 1.073
FG: 1.012

ABV ~ 8%

60 min 1.5 warrior

5 min
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Whirlpool (170) - 30 minutes
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Dry Hop - 5 days
2 oz simcoe
1 oz Columbus
1 oz Amarillo

Sample tasted really good. Tropical and also some slight dankness from the columbus. Very excited to get this chilled and carbed!
Alright. I kegged this on Monday and it has been sitting in my attic (no room in the fridge) at around 44 degrees since then.

Just pulled a half carbonated sample and holy **** is this good. I will call it Conan the Destroyer.

I have won a few local comps and have been told that i brew some good beer, but this is by far the best DIPA i have brewed.

This yeast is amazing.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
powermd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I'm on my first attempt to harvest Conan, and we're about 36 hours in. I started with about 2 ounces of HT from the can bottom, and transferred that to 250 mL of 1.02 wort. I have foamy bubbles, particularly when the stirrer is on, or after a good shake, but that can dissipate a bit if I leave it. Not sure if that's truly yeast activity yet. Last night I wanted to add some yeast nutrient, so I put 1/4 tsp Fermax into 250 mL 1.02 wort, cooked it up, cooled it, and added it to my flask, bringing the total to 500 mL. According to the Fermax bottle, the recipe is 1 tsp per gallon, so I figured 1/4 tsp for 500 mL total would be accurate.

Now... I discovered this morning my stir plate gives off some heat, and may have warmed up my harvest mix to 90F! Did I kill Conan??

Whenever I've made a starter for bread, the yeast seem to thrive at a temp like that, but does anyone know how Conan will handle it?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It's fine. Yeast won't die until around 120F. Laboratory growth temperature of yeast is ~86F.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
powermd
Recipes 

I've read lots of articles on how to calculate pitch rates and just end up confused. One guy has a table with grams of yeast for different OGs, and that makes some sense, but you have to assume your slurry is equally dense with his.

The idea of estimating cell counts seems ridiculous when the only way you can actually do that is with real laboratory equipment. As a home brewer we can easily measure volume, weight, and gravity. How can I use those measures to make sure I'm pitching the right amount of slurry? That assumes I've already decanted off the "beer".

Assuming you step up to a 2L starter and have a bunch of yeast slurry sitting on the bottom, how many mL of this slurry is adequate to pitch a 1.06 OG 5L batch?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermd View Post
I've read lots of articles on how to calculate pitch rates and just end up confused. One guy has a table with grams of yeast for different OGs, and that makes some sense, but you have to assume your slurry is equally dense with his.

The idea of estimating cell counts seems ridiculous when the only way you can actually do that is with real laboratory equipment. As a home brewer we can easily measure volume, weight, and gravity. How can I use those measures to make sure I'm pitching the right amount of slurry? That assumes I've already decanted off the "beer".

Assuming you step up to a 2L starter and have a bunch of yeast slurry sitting on the bottom, how many mL of this slurry is adequate to pitch a 1.06 OG 5L batch?
You're right, it's all an estimate unless you can measure viability. Pitching 100 g of 20% viable slurry is vastly different than pitching 100 g of 80% viable slurry. How to really answer your question, I'm not sure. To make sure I was cultivating the best possible yeast, I would invest in a stirplate, oxygenation set-up, and yeast nutrient.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
powermd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
You're right, it's all an estimate unless you can measure viability. Pitching 100 g of 20% viable slurry is vastly different than pitching 100 g of 80% viable slurry. How to really answer your question, I'm not sure. To make sure I was cultivating the best possible yeast, I would invest in a stirplate, oxygenation set-up, and yeast nutrient.
According to MrMalty, there are 4.5B cells in 1 mL of yeast solids. In a slurry, only about 25% are solids, so that gives about 1.1B cells/mL slurry. Conservatively assuming 80% viability, that would give about 800M cells/mL.

A 1.06 OG wort is 16 Plato (60/4 = 16).

According to Mr. Malty's formula for ales: 0.75M cells * (5gal * 3.7L * 1000mL/L=18,500) * 16P = 222,000K (or 222B cells).

To get 222B cells, you need 277.5 mL of slurry.

Does that sound pretty close to what you're pitching from a 2L starter for a 5 gal batch?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anyone else getting Belgian phenols from Conan? I grew up a slightly older vial on a stir plate at about 70 F ambient temperature. The yeast seems to have propped up nicely, but I definitely get a Belgian nose from the finished starter. It would make sense, with some people guessing that the strain is a Saison or other Belgian strain. Just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
powermd
Recipes 

Well, at 2 days 20 hrs I began to see unmistakable signs of yeast collection at the bottom of my flask. I went to the gym and 90 minutes later there was a solid dusting on the bottom. 20 minutes later than that, it covered the entire bottom of the flask!

I guess I'll wait to step it up until I have a solid centimeter thick slurry of yeast.

Conan lives!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #20
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Okay.

DIPA went from 1.082 to 1.016, and it's done. I kegged it and I'm dry hopping it.

Appears that I by chance might have an older strain, and as they get older, they get less active obviously.

That is apparent attenuation of 80.5% though, so... could have been just the size of the beer I reckon, that and all the carapils and crystal/honey malts.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply