Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Conan Yeast Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default Conan Yeast Experiences

Wanted to start a separate thread from the Heady Topper clone thread to focus on Conan since a number of people (myself included) are/will be using it in other beers besides a HT clone.

I'm planning on using it in a Galaxy Pale Ale this weekend

currently on the stir plate for the 3 step: 1 can (200ml/1250ml/3000ml)

never had any type of foaming or krausen on a starter using my stir plate like i've seen with Conan.

2nd step had a bit of foam but no concern
3rd step was added last night after decanting most of the liquid and at 3am today I had foam overflowing my 3000ml flask - added a few drops of fermcap and it's still foaming up pretty well.

I'll report details on the Galaxy APA in a few weeks. I'm also considering using it in a Kolch but would like to try to keep that fermentation clean

Curious what results people are getting at different fermentation temperatures, pitch rates, attenuation etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Ill report this evening. I have a kern river Citra DIPA going now with Conan in it. Insane fermentation at low temps and my starters were rediculous as well. Killed my stir plate with an over flow.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

terrapinj Likes This 
Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have a double IPA going with Conan right now. It was a very vigorous and seemingly fast fermentation--the krauesen built up quickly and mostly subsided after about three days, with an initial temperature of 64 and a final temperature of 68-70F. It's now on cleanup duty, with some airlock activity and plenty of yeast still in suspension five days after the initial pitch.

Speaking of the pitch, I had a 1L starter, built up from one can. Amazing how peachy the stuff smells!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
FATC1TY
Recipes 

So this thread reminded me to get a gravity reading. Krausen has dropped and beer is now warming up to ambient temps, roughly 68-69 degrees.

Fermented it at 63*, took off immediately from the starter I made, and was done in like 4 days roughly.

Beer is still cloudy, much like Heady, so this yeast doesn't flocc out that awesome, but I bet with a good cold crash it would be just fine. Not brilliant, but not a hefe look.

Took my DIPA, mashed at 149* from 1.083- 1.019 in that time period. I expect it to eek out a couple of points, but this recipe isn't meant to get very dry, ( Kern River Citra DIPA), I even mashed a little higher than suggested, thinking Conan would go wild on it. It stayed in check for the most part. BS2 estimated my gravity at 1.020 I think it was. The original is a full bodied beer, and will all the crap in it, I'd suspect it anyways! I kept it all the same, except I used Pearl malt for the base malt, the same malt used in Heady.

The peach notes of this beer is off the charts. My hydro sample has a head that won't go away. Very velvety mouthfeel, uncarbed.

Gonna give it another couple of days to clean up in the primary, and then I'll probably send it to the kegs for the dry hop cycle.

One parallel however. Heady Topper has a slight sweetness to it, but not much. Finished at 1.014. When I saw the hydro settle at 1.019, I was a bit worried. I don't like a FG that high, but I know it's not getting to 1.010 at this point. The beer while having some malty sweetness, doesn't have that thick cloying taste of a beer at 1.019 that I would have expected. I've seen that the orignal clone should be around 1.010, from 1.070.. Not exactly what I had going on, but I did bastardize the recipe from the get go!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

maddox1349 Likes This 
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

do you think the fruity/peach notes come from fermenting at cooler temps, like us-05 can get at times?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
LaFinDuMonde
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
One parallel however. Heady Topper has a slight sweetness to it, but not much. Finished at 1.014. When I saw the hydro settle at 1.019, I was a bit worried. I don't like a FG that high, but I know it's not getting to 1.010 at this point. The beer while having some malty sweetness, doesn't have that thick cloying taste of a beer at 1.019 that I would have expected. I've seen that the orignal clone should be around 1.010, from 1.070.. Not exactly what I had going on, but I did bastardize the recipe from the get go!
I had the same experience. My Heady 'kinda' Clone finished at 1.018 from a 1.074, so I was a little concerned because I really dislike sweet beers. But, somehow this beer is not sweet at all.

Conan is an amazing yeast.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

brewed a Galaxy APA yesterday. placed the wort in my minifridge to cool a few more degrees before pitching but it ended up chilling down to 57°. Last night I went ahead and aerated with o2 and pitched 125ml of runny Conan slurry and set the SP to 62° to let it free rise up. This am the blow off tube was slowly bubbling and the temp was reading 60°.

i'm gonna try to see if Conan will work around 58° when I brew my Kolsch(ish) beer later this month

Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've done 4 beers now with conan that a friend built up and gave me some of

APA (1L starter from washed yeast starter): 1.054 to 1.012 mash @153F (78% attenuation)
American Wheat (1 cup slurry from APA): 1.054 to 1.010 mash @153F (81%)
IIPA (2 cups slurry from APA): 1.085 to 1.013 mash @148F (85%)
Milk Stout (1 cup slurry from Am wheat): 1.065 to 1.02 mash @154F (80% if remove lactose)

most of fermentation was done at 58-60F ambient, which worked out to about 62-65F internal. its certainly a lil fruitier & hazier than chico. none of them have reached great clarity even after a few weeks in the keezer. the aforementioned friend recently split an IPA 3-ways (chico, conan, w34/70) and the chico one was the best, so i'm not sure how much more i'll play around with conan at the moment.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
do you think the fruity/peach notes come from fermenting at cooler temps, like us-05 can get at times?
Doubt it. My starter that was stepping up twice, I didn't control the temp. It was probably 68-70 easily. I smelled and tasted the starter beer, and while nasty from no hops, and being from extract, it was extremely peachy. More of a warm sweet peach, where at the cooler temps, I find that more tart, semi sweet peach/apricot note.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
FATC1TY
Recipes 

On a side note. While I haven't checked the gravity of my beer again, I'm a bit bummed that it didn't get drier personally. I think it'll be a great beer, as it tasted great flat, and without ANY dry hop in it, but put me off just for the fact the number isn't what I like to see.

I got somewhere around 78% attenuation, which ain't bad for a beer that was 1.080+. All things equal, if I hadn't gone bigger than planned, the beer would be just right where I wanted it to drop.

The sample I pulled, it put in a glass and chilled for a day in the fridge. The beer was still hazy, and still peachy, but I did get a fair bit of it to finally drop out and settle in the glass. My hydro sample had a good quarter inch thick cake in the bottom of it, and it was a normal small juice glass.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply