Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Composition of gasses in the headspace during active fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
beerluvva
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Speaking of headspace...I've read a number of threads that worry about the amount of headspace in the fermenter. Given what's been said above, what's the reason for this? Seems like if you do primary only, and basically leave your fermenter alone, the co2 pushes the o2 out, and so a lot of headspace should not be a big issue?

I typically do 3 gal in a 5 gal bucket, so wondering if I'd taste a difference in my beer if I matched the vessel better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3283 Times on 2046 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
Partial pressures do not move gasses into the fermentor unless you don't have an airlock on it. The airlock works as a one-way valve allowing gas to exit and not enter.
Yes, that's what I meant.

But technically, given enough time the gasses will move through the airlock. It's slow, how slow I dont' know, but you can't stop physics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply