Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Commercial Yeast - what are good ones to harvest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Default Commercial Yeast - what are good ones to harvest?

I have to be honest, I hate buying yeast. I just don't like it. THere is something really cool and satisfying about culturing yeast from commercial beers. I am now converting my operations to use strains that I have cultured. Rogue Pacman for my "normal/everyday" ales and Chimay for my belgians.

I have also cultured yeast from redhook...but not impressed with that yeast.

Do you guys have any input or opinions on some other yeast to harverst from commercial beers? I would love to get my hands on new belgiums fat tire yeast...they say it's a neutral american strain....bull crap!!

I was thinking possibly harvesting from boulevard so I get a nice heff strain.....

when you think about it, rogue pacman yeast is just so versatile.......it really reminds me of nottingham....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
meddin
Recipes 

How about buying yeast, washing it after use, and keep re-using?

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty
Keg 1 - English ESB
Keg 2 - Scottish 70-/
Keg 3 - Commercial EPA

Old 03-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddin View Post
How about buying yeast, washing it after use, and keep re-using?
I certainly wash my yeast, I have far too many jars of washed yeast in my fridge. I have washed US-05, Nottigham, White labs WLP029 (kolsh), Chimay, and pacman.

I am just a big fan of harvesting yeast, it is an amazing process and it is nice to know you are really using the same exact strain as the big guys.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

same strain that has been stored at who knows what temperature in a nutrient decimated, alcohol laced medium...

It makes sense to go with the closest, most local, quickest selling beer that you can. Is summit bottle conditioned? When I was a bartender in north dakota the robust porter keg turned over every week...because I stayed up until 5 am drinking it with the cooks!

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
alecoholic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I have also cultured yeast from redhook...but not impressed with that yeast.
I don't like Redhooks yeast either, it is slow working and not very flocculant. It also has a distinct ester taste that makes your beer taste Redhooky, not that that is a bad taste but it isn't appropriate in some beers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
when you think about it, rogue pacman yeast is just so versatile.......it really reminds me of nottingham....
Rogue pacman is a mutant form of the Sierra Nevada strain, which came from Ballantines. Ballantines was using Nottingham, so that's where Rogue Pacman came from originally.

I would just use the yeast from the freshest beer I can get my hands on, which is usually from a local brewery.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
jsullivan02130
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Word is that pacman is derived from the cali/chico strain which itself was derived from the Balentine strain (aka Nottingham).

edit: Jebus! alecoholic beat me to it ...

"There is nothing in brewing so complicated that a little effort can't make even more complicated."

Quick Reply