Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Commercial Beer Yeast Harvest List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #51
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverpat View Post
I brewed a pumpkin wheat with Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen harvested yeast. The beer started @ 1.053 and finished at 1.009 and is as clear as can be. It doesn't have the look or flavor of a Hefe. It doesn't taste too bad so far but it just isn't to style.
I bet Harpoon's Hefeweizen is like Widmer, Shiner, etc. where it is a neutral wheat strain (like an American wheat strain) rather than a German weizen strain that throws banana and clove.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #52
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I bet Harpoon's Hefeweizen is like Widmer, Shiner, etc. where it is a neutral wheat strain (like an American wheat strain) rather than a German weizen strain that throws banana and clove.
IIRC you're dead on. they mentioned something along those lines when I was at the brewery.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #53
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'll second the Ommegang confirmation. I got the strain from a bottle of Rare Vos. It makes great beer.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the Unibroue strain/strains. I just did a post on this a few days back that includes a few links: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/la-f...55/index3.html

Not trying to contradict anyone's claims, as there are a good number of possible explanations. I'll update on my progress here, since more people who might be interested will see it here rather than in the other thread.

I put the dregs from a bottle of La Fin du Monde on a malt agar plate. This method has never failed me. Several days and zero growth on the plate. I usually have a thick patch by now. I'll give it a few more days. Hard to believe that every cell could be dead....

So I can't confirm or deny anything about the Unibroue strain/strains yet. But I will get to the bottom of it.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #54
tacticalhooligan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Rogue amber ale is good to go, as is their chatoe black lager (an oktoberfest strain of some kind according to their website)

Also, anything from Boulevard Brewing Co in their Smokestack Series is a no-go. They filter out the primary strain and bottle condition with a champagne yeast.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #55
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalhooligan View Post
Also, anything from Boulevard Brewing Co in their Smokestack Series is a no-go. They filter out the primary strain and bottle condition with a champagne yeast.
And you just saved me half an hour and a few oz of DME. I was about to try to culture from Tank 7. Kinda sucks though, that's probably one of my favorite saisons.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #56
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Man it is good to see that my thread is actually helping people!! Update to list coming soon!!

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #57
diverpat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Thanks for the info! I bottled this a bit ago and I'm almost ready to taste a tester bottle.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #58
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
Man it is good to see that my thread is actually helping people!! Update to list coming soon!!
Instead of having 'confirmed' and 'unconfirmed', maybe you should list the # of confirmed cases.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #59
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBen View Post
Instead of having 'confirmed' and 'unconfirmed', maybe you should list the # of confirmed cases.
I started out researching everything that was posted but that really is a lot of work. I am probably just going to put up what is posted and if lots of people complain then i will take an item off of the list. Keeping track of the number of confirmed accounts is a lot of work.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #60
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
Recipes 

Confirmation direct from Allagash that you can not harvest their primary yeast from their Tripel, but you can from their White, and it's the same yeast...

Quote:
It is true. This yeast in our Tripel bottles is our bottling yeast, which is a different strian from our primary yeast. The yeast in our White 12oz bottles is our primary yeast, and the one we use for the primary of the Tripel. I know of quite a few people to have success growing it up. Of course, the fresher the beer, the better.

Good luck!
Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Quick Reply