Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Commercial Beer Yeast Harvest List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #31
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2200 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 1648

I finally found a 6'r of cooper's sparkling ale. It's popular down under to harvest the commercial yeast from these to brew with. I'm gunna give it a shot. The ale has a dark sort of fruity taste to it,kind of malty with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #32
MDVDuber

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've had luck with the "Chatoe" Rogue line (Rogue Oregasmic and Wet Hop) - but both times I've done it it's taken forever to really kick off. I should note that in both cases I harvested the dregs from 2 bottles and did it during the winter when my house is pretty cool - think 62-64ish. In the end though I get a really nice yeast harvest that chews through just about whatever I can throw at it.

The second time I harvested from the primary and I have a few jars left in the fridge. Gotta get brewing!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #33
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

This is much more a question than a reply. What is a bottling strain? I have heard that a number of producers use a yeast that will not reproduce the same as the original strain when they bottle. You can harvest and propogate and it may make good beer that may in fact be close to the original but will not be the same. I have specificaly heard this about New Belgian.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #34
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The primary strain is typically closely guarded and proprietary so what most breweries will do is bottle condition with a separate strain in order to add a slightly different flavour and to sorta age the beer. You can brew with bottling strains and still make great beer. What you harvest from the bottle may or may not be the primary strain, bottling strain, or even a combo of both. Unless we are the master brewer of those breweries or a microbiologist with fancy equipment we will never really know which we are harvesting. Either way, this thread is of which successful harvests we have had and in reality that is all we need as home brewers since no matter how hard we try we can not as small brewers make the same beer as the big guys... no matter how full of ourselves we are. Hopefully the first part of that answered your question.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
mobrewdude
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can add Boulevard Wheat to the list, I did it as my first harvest experiment and it took right off

Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #36
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've harvested from Allagash White. Delicious.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #37
TimT
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cheval Blanc's La Blanche is harvestable and I have confirmed with the brewery it is the same strain used for conditioning and fermenting.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #38
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Forget shock top. I tried it no good. Anyone ever try to harvest from blue moon?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #39
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69 View Post
Forget shock top. I tried it no good. Anyone ever try to harvest from blue moon?
It's pasteurized. So is Wittekerke.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #40
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
The primary strain is typically closely guarded and proprietary so what most breweries will do is bottle condition with a separate strain in order to add a slightly different flavour and to sorta age the beer. You can brew with bottling strains and still make great beer. What you harvest from the bottle may or may not be the primary strain, bottling strain, or even a combo of both. Unless we are the master brewer of those breweries or a microbiologist with fancy equipment we will never really know which we are harvesting. Either way, this thread is of which successful harvests we have had and in reality that is all we need as home brewers since no matter how hard we try we can not as small brewers make the same beer as the big guys... no matter how full of ourselves we are. Hopefully the first part of that answered your question.
I understood that the bottling strain is often selected for flocculence, to leave a clear final product. They may well be a "clean" strain that produces few characteristic esters. There is not as much concern about or even desire for ester production with these strains, as the greatest part of fermentation has already happened with the primary strain, with its ester profile already accomplished in the beer.

Quick Reply