Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Commercial Beer Yeast Harvest List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #21
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All of Ommegang's beers, in the corked 750ml bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #22
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Saison Foret

I also find Newcastle completely unlikely. It's possible somebody tried to culture from Newcastle and ended up with a strain floating around the house in the starter. It's also possible that might have been old information or a particular release of Newcastle.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Jolly Pumpkin ES Bam (personal) - unfortunately, now contains a bottling strain
Pretty Things Jack D'or (personal)
De Proef Les Deux Brsseurs (personal)

Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #24
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastical View Post
Thanks for the list! Next time I'm down in the states I will pick a few of these up. Can't get **** up here in Canada...

Wait a minute! We get dead guy ale! I never noticed that there was any sediment at the bottom though. How do you harvest it?
Buy a 6pk of beer. Pour all but last inch into glass and drink, do this 6 times. Sanitize bottle neck and lip inside and out. Pour the 6 1" full bottles into a flask with room temp wort. Wort is typically made from extra light DME. I mix mine to a hydro reading of around 1.040. Place on stirplate and start it on a gentle stir for 12-18hrs. Decant solution for several days. Then start over using the yeast from decanting mixed with a new batch of wort. Repeat until you get the desired amount of yeast. That is as simple as I can make it. I cant find it anymore, maybe you will have better luck, but there is a guy from this site that has a coupe youtube videos on yeast starters and decanting that are perfect explanations.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
Buy a 6pk of beer. Pour all but last inch into glass and drink, do this 6 times. Sanitize bottle neck and lip inside and out. Pour the 6 1" full bottles into a flask with room temp wort. Wort is typically made from extra light DME. I mix mine to a hydro reading of around 1.040. Place on stirplate and start it on a gentle stir for 12-18hrs. Decant solution for several days. Then start over using the yeast from decanting mixed with a new batch of wort. Repeat until you get the desired amount of yeast. That is as simple as I can make it. I cant find it anymore, maybe you will have better luck, but there is a guy from this site that has a coupe youtube videos on yeast starters and decanting that are perfect explanations.
What would be wrong with going directly from a bottle(or 6) to a full starter in a half gallon growler? It seems like the yeast in 6 bottles of beer would be enough to make that happen without having to step it up.

I guess my question is, how do you know when you have enough yeast?

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 08-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

That is a good question... I really am confused about that too. I just keep it going until I can decant about a half inch of yeast in a pint jar. I know how to harvest yeast and make starters according to the suggested sizes in beersmith but I have no idea how to actually know how many yeast are in a volume of a starter other than what is predicted and I guess that is done by someone with a phd.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Without a counting chamber you can take an educated guess. I forget the guidelines but they're out there.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #28
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
What would be wrong with going directly from a bottle(or 6) to a full starter in a half gallon growler? It seems like the yeast in 6 bottles of beer would be enough to make that happen without having to step it up.

I guess my question is, how do you know when you have enough yeast?
The best you can do is estimate. The yeast doubling time (under optimum condition) is 1.5 to 2 hours.

If you have a very large quantity of yeast cells, then you won't get that kind of speed. It might take a whole 24 hours to double.

If you have a small amount of yeast (like the small amount from a few bottles of beer), then you'll get closer to the 1.5 to 2 hours of doubling time.

Under perfect conditions, you could theoretically go from 1 yeast cell to 100 billion yeast cells in just 3 days.

There is usually way more than 1 yeast cell in the bottom of a bottle-conditioned beer, but on the other hand, our yeast is not in perfect conditions.

So, what I do is check to see how long it takes for the starter to drop from the OG to the FG. If it takes longer than a day, I decant the liquid off the top and add fresh wort. I'll do this until I can get the starter wort to drop from OG to FG in just 24 hours.

With the Chimay White bottle, it took me about 1 week, and I replaced the wort 3 times.

Mathematically, using 6 bottles instead of 1 will only save you about 4 hours.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #29
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I was able to successfully harvest and use yeast from a bottle of Blanche de Chambley and La Fin Du Monde, both from Unibroue, using nothing more than the dregs from the bottle and a can of Malta.

I noticed that Unibroue Brewery beers are not listed and they bottle condition with additional yeast, making them a prime candidate for harvesting.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #30
PagodaBrewingCo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure Unibroue has one specific strain of yeast they use for carbonation though. Could be wrong but they seem to be the same.

I've harvested the yeast from Driftwood's Farmhand Ale, the Unibroue offerings, and the dregs from Cantillon. Won't really know how well that least one worked for a while.

Quick Reply