*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Commercial Beer Yeast Harvest List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #121
LVBen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Stone doesn't bottle condition most of their beers, so why would they add a different yeast anyway?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #122
bphelan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Stone's normal beers just use WLP007 anyways...

But no, I'm pretty sure they don't bottle with a different yeast. In fact, it's absolutely pointless when they're using such a widely available strain.
That's how I understood it, had the six pack already so I just figured I'd give harvesting a shot more of a fun experiment than economic choice for getting yeast for a batch.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 AM   #123
tacticalhooligan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Add Bell's Special Double Cream Stout and Cherry Stout to the list of successful harvests. I imagine it's their standard proprietary strain (same as Two Hearted) but don't know that for a fact, just hearsay that they use the same strain for most of their ales.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #124
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't know if its been mentioned before but Lagunitas Stout has no yeast in it. I even examined the debris in a microscope and saw no yeast, only bacteria (likely because I wasn't very clean about taking care of the bottle after pouring). I presume they filter. Anyone know for sure?

Re: Stone yeast. There seem to be a lot of opinions here but I'm not sure what the source of information is. I have the recollection of hearing or reading that Chris White of White Labs stocks Stone proprietary yeast for their use only so, while I presume it is a derivative of a CA Ale strain, I thought it was their own variant. Whether that strain is in the bottle, I don't know but I presume that it is. They certainly have yeast in their bottles so I presume they bottle condition to some extent.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #125
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
I don't know if its been mentioned before but Lagunitas Stout has no yeast in it. I even examined the debris in a microscope and saw no yeast, only bacteria (likely because I wasn't very clean about taking care of the bottle after pouring). I presume they filter. Anyone know for sure?

Re: Stone yeast. There seem to be a lot of opinions here but I'm not sure what the source of information is. I have the recollection of hearing or reading that Chris White of White Labs stocks Stone proprietary yeast for their use only so, while I presume it is a derivative of a CA Ale strain, I thought it was their own variant. Whether that strain is in the bottle, I don't know but I presume that it is. They certainly have yeast in their bottles so I presume they bottle condition to some extent.
If I remember correctly, Stone's yeast is just a strain of WLP007 that flocculates a little bit better than the normal WLP007 strain. They've discussed it on Can You Brew it episodes with Mitch Steele.

It costs extra money for breweries to maintain a 2nd yeast for bottle conditioning, and it is risky to mess with a finished beer when it isn't necessary, so unless a brewery has a damn good reason to use a 2nd yeast, they'll likely not do it.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #126
SecretBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think you should add some indicator to the list that shows which beers have been confirmed as conditioned with their primary fermenting strain. Lots of beers have yeast in them but I wouldn't want to waste time with a bottling strain. Anyways good job thus far. I think a good list like this is overdue.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #127
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

SecretBrew: I think the problem is that few have reliable information about this issue. Unless the brewery is telling people their procedures, which doesn't seem to be the rule, then we have no way of knowing. All we can say is we used the yeast and it worked and had properties we can describe.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #128
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Rogue American Amber Ale seems to be bottle carb'd on pacman per references on their website and a step up starter that seems to be taking off from the dregs.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #129
runs4beer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretBrew View Post
I think you should add some indicator to the list that shows which beers have been confirmed as conditioned with their primary fermenting strain. Lots of beers have yeast in them but I wouldn't want to waste time with a bottling strain. Anyways good job thus far. I think a good list like this is overdue.
My understanding the beer we want to have the yeast from is rarely conditioned w/ a bottling strain.
BUT:
When there's a yeast you'd like to harvest call/email the brewery and ask point blank this question most will answer honestly.

Never listen to electric guitar.
-DB
Some folks look for answers
Others look for fights
Some folks up in treetops
Just look to see the sights
-RH

Old 11-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #130
CrayZJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone attempt harvesting from Breckenridge?

Quick Reply