Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Comercial yeast harvesting, how long before giving up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

SInce we know that yeast can lag or be sluggish for up to 72 hours, that's usually how long I'll wait to see if there's a creamy band of yeast on the bottom.

But remember with starters of any type, harvsting or otherwise there's only ONE "visible indicator of yeast growth" and with your stirplate running it's usually impossible to see it.

I explain what it is here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

In my case, it was with about 1/2" of the dregs from two bottles. I don't know how old the bottles were, but they did have a visible layer of sediment. I suppose they were stored at 40F. I opened, decanted, and then let it warm to room temp. Started in a 2 liter starter of 1.020. Was very careful with sanitation, using starsan from a spray bottle and flame sterilizing the lips of the bottles and flask. It was on a stirplate. What I remember is being pretty disappointed after about 48 hours of no activity then walking into the kitchen one time to see a 3-4" krausen. Before I stepped it up, I smelled to make sure it wasn't wild. I mainly did it for the challenge and the fact that Wyeast Pacman is (was?) seasonal. I used it on one batch, then top cropped from that one to build a starter for the next batch. One was a DG clone that tuned out excellent and the other was just something experimental. I will also say that when you use this yeast, (and doing AG), definitely mash a little high, because it is an excellent attenuator.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3040 Times on 1915 Posts
Likes Given: 2567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
SInce we know that yeast can lag or be sluggish for up to 72 hours, that's usually how long I'll wait to see if there's a creamy band of yeast on the bottom.

But remember with starters of any type, harvsting or otherwise there's only ONE "visible indicator of yeast growth" and with your stirplate running it's usually impossible to see it.

I explain what it is here.
I disagree. When using DME or wort, the body of the starter becomes much lighter in color when the yeast blooms. It looks like when you add cream to coffee. This might not be obvious with a very small starter.

I agree that 72 hrs is not a long time for a starter based on dregs. OTOH, I waited a week for dregs to start once, and was rewarded with something else entirely (that you wouldn't want to make beer with; perhaps cheese).
And you're waiting there, not a care in the world

Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I disagree. When using DME or wort, the body of the starter becomes much lighter in color when the yeast blooms. It looks like when you add cream to coffee. This might not be obvious with a very small starter.

I agree that 72 hrs is not a long time for a starter based on dregs. OTOH, I waited a week for dregs to start once, and was rewarded with something else entirely (that you wouldn't want to make beer with; perhaps cheese).
I can normally see the bloom too, but you definitely need to turn off the stir plate to see how much is present (settles).

I also had a failed dregs starter before the successful Pacman one. Tried to harvest from a Rochefort 8. My problem there was I put it in the basement where it was about 62F. It never took off after 7 days of waiting. I have a pretty strong stomach, but when I smelled it I nearly gagged. The Pacman starter I did was probably pretty warm too because I did it in the summer and we usually let the house get up to 75 then.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
guinness_time
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Funny I just go on to post my tecnique for how I just harvested and found this thread right below. Hope it helps.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/how...-yeast-322590/

"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Facium"

Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I harvested from a 6 pack of Dead Guy, it went nuts in my yeast flask. I always harvest from at least 6 - 12oz bottles with good success.

Quick Reply