Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Comercial yeast harvesting, how long before giving up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Comercial yeast harvesting, how long before giving up?

Have a starter of approximately 400ml of 1.030 wort that I added the dregs of 2 bottles of rogue dead guy ale to. Approximately .5 - .75" of each bottle. It's been on the stir plate for about 48hrs with no visible indicator of yeast growth. What's the realistic longest I should leave it going before giving up the ghost and figuring theses bottles didn't have any viable yeast (poor handling,storage,old bottles,sun spots or just bad luck)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I think rogue force carbs. I just looked at my bottle of dead guy and saw no sediment in the bottom. Happily I believe they use pac-man yeast. You can purchase it from Wyeast. Used it for a hazelnut brown nectar clone and its delicious.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
nanofreak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

They do bottle condition some beers, I am unsure if that is one of them. That said it is correct that their yeast is available through wyeast as stated above.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am not an expert, but it seems like 48 hours is more than enough time for the yeast to get through 400 ML of starter wort. All of my first step-ups of that size were done in 48 hours. I think it might be the beer selection. I am sure that someone can come along who has managed to harvest Pacman from Dead Guy, but I think the general consensus is that it is much easier to get it out of a bomber of one of the stouts. I got a nice culture out of one 22 oz bottle of the chocolate stout. So looks like poor you has to go to the bottle store and drink another bottle of Rogue. Take a look at the bottom of the bottle before you buy, to ensure that there is a nice deposit of yeast at the bottom. (That is also a good way of meeting other homebrewers- if you see someone else at the bottle store holding the bottles up to the light and squinting at the bottom of the bottle, chances are you have a lot in common.) (Or just by the yeast, but there is something to be said for the adventure of harvesting).

Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I came home from running errands (read, buying a bottle of Redemption ) intending to dump the starter and figure there wasn't any viable yeast in those two bottles.

Lo and behold I find krausen starting to form. Of course now I'm paranoid that 72hrs without activity what's fermenting might be a wild yeast..

img_1443.jpg  

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
fpweeks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I harvested the yeast out of a bottle of ommegang Hennepin and it took a fees days to see any noticeable activity. I was ready to dump it, but I had just brewed 5 gals of Hennepin clone and had no other options. It was Easter Sunday. So no lhbs, and they are closed Monday.

It started to show a little activity so I pitched it and next day had a. Ice kraeuson......just tasted my hydrometer sample out of secondary and it came out great

One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Dead guy may be filtered so it might not have as much yeast to harvest as others. I've had good luck with their Northwestern, as well as any of the dark beers, the Bitter IpA and a few others. I usually hold the 22oz bombers up to the light in the beer store and look for ones with a nice settled blanket of yeast....

Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Dead guy may be filtered so it might not have as much yeast to harvest as others. I've had good luck with their Northwestern, as well as any of the dark beers, the Bitter IpA and a few others. I usually hold the 22oz bombers up to the light in the beer store and look for ones with a nice settled blanket of yeast....
Luckyyyyyyyyyy

I've tried Northwestern a couple times (Sig is the man! But where's Eggar? ) to no avail.

Try try again.....

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

At least the 12 oz bottles of dead guy are not filtered. I had success harvesting from 2 bottles. I did start with a 1.020 wort and stepped up twice to get a good batch, but the initial fermentation did take a long time (something like 72 hours or so). There are threads elsewhere on this forum that talk about harvesting from dead guy and other Rogue brews.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Tell us about your technique. I tend to use bombers very cold, reserve as much as 1" in the bottom, might use two bombers in a 10:1 wort of 500-800ml or so. I use a stir-plate so that might be why I haven't had one not work yet. Usually takes 24-48 hours to begin, only observed by fine bubbles and sometimes a very light run of foam around the vortex from the stir plate.

Quick Reply