Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > collecting wild yeast in belgium

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default collecting wild yeast in belgium..can it be done?

I just started culturing yeast in a petri dishes with agar and all that stuff....I always wanted to go to belgium and i was thinking while im there i will make a plate and just leave it out to collect wild yeast and "bugs"..Would this work if i went in the winter when lambics are made..Having that belgian wild yeast in my collection would be awesome..your thoughts would be awesome

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
bigbadal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, give it a try! Worst case is you get something non viable for beer. Best case is you have a true wild yeast!
good luck

Fermenter: white IPA & belgian wit
Secondary: M/T
Keg#1: Red ale
Keg#2: saaz ale
bottled: black IPA
Predicted Brews: cascade+MO SMASH, chinook+MO SMASH

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 134

That would be real cool......but I think the 800lb gorilla in the room is going to be US customs. You will not be able to bring that into the US unless they don't find it. If they do they will seize it. A petri dish would be seized, and if you try to make a starter (probably the best way to culture) with a small jar and dme.....all they would see is a liquid jar full of a suspicious liquid......you'd probably only be allowed to board the plane, after the Belgian authorities took you to a very"Special" place, and questioned you rather directly. Maybe you'd get to meet happy puppy who would inspect you luggage for you too. I think Whitelabs probably makes what your looking for anyway....could be cheaper too!

Not saying this will happen but It might be worth your while to research before.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

why not culture it from a bottle? the stuff that lands on your plate is not necessarily going to make good beer, and as you know if you leave a plate out in the open, you're going to have lots of nasty stuff growing on it next to any yeast. furthermore, a couple of independent studies have shown that when people get wild fermentations going outside belgium, the same species of yeasts and bacteria are found in them as the ones from belgium

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

unless you able to do some lab work on what you collect, then run several test batches to ensure the results, just catching whatever is on the wind is a total crap shoot. i'm not trying to discourage you. go ahead and do it, but realize that you're buying a lottery ticket. you might get something awesome, you might also get something that ruins your batch.

as far as bringing it back, i would make a starter and put a mason jar of the stuff in your luggage. it is technically illegal to bring back such cultures but i doubt your bags would be sufficiently searched to catch that. if busted, tell them it's a health drink and be prepared to take a gulp

culturing from a bottle or buying from white labs/wyest is indeed the easier and more certain way of doing this, but i get the appeal of trying... i just fear that it won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
furthermore, a couple of independent studies have shown that when people get wild fermentations going outside belgium, the same species of yeasts and bacteria are found in them as the ones from belgium
same species, yes, but not the same strains. ALL brewers yeast is saccharomyces cerevisiae, and s. cerevisiae exists all around the planet... but that doesn't mean that all s. cerevisiae are the same. belgian yeasts, english yeasts, american yeasts... they're all s. cerevisiae but no one would say that they are the same or that they brew the same beer.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
same species, yes, but not the same strains. ALL brewers yeast is saccharomyces cerevisiae, and s. cerevisiae exists all around the planet... but that doesn't mean that all s. cerevisiae are the same. belgian yeasts, english yeasts, american yeasts... they're all s. cerevisiae but no one would say that they are the same or that they brew the same beer.
i completely agree, and i think that's a valuable point for anyone collecting yeast anywhere to remember. but by the same logic i don't think that opening a plate in belgium is going to necessarily get you any closer to the specific flavors that certain belgian breweries get. get your plate inside their fermenter barrels, now you're onto something

Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
beerbeerbeer123
Recipes 

Thanks for all the feed back everyone..When i do it im gonna ship it in the mail with t-shirts and stuff to try and hide it and hopefully get away with it..I will first slant whatever i get..I know its a shot in the dark but would be cool if i score..Definetly will do test batchs and look at it under a scope..I figure whats the worst that will happen either get nothing or confiscation..but if i end up with the goods it would be awesome..thanks again everyone

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
biertourist
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Take some sanitary cotton balls in sample tubes with you on brewery tours; wipe them on the fermenters / blow-off tube buckets, then put them back in the sample tubes, screw them down tight and propagate them up when you get home.

Be sure to plate them on selective media and pick a healthy single cell colony and grow it up from there.

You can get pretty much any brewery's yeast that you want (even if they sanitary filter or pasteurize) on a brewery tour with a cotton ball and sample tube.

Adam

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
beerbeerbeer123
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post
Take some sanitary cotton balls in sample tubes with you on brewery tours; wipe them on the fermenters / blow-off tube buckets, then put them back in the sample tubes, screw them down tight and propagate them up when you get home.

Be sure to plate them on selective media and pick a healthy single cell colony and grow it up from there.

You can get pretty much any brewery's yeast that you want (even if they sanitary filter or pasteurize) on a brewery tour with a cotton ball and sample tube.

Adam
awesome idea..thanks..In that case im going to be taking alot of brewery tours...and a backpack full of blanks

Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeerbeer123 View Post
Thanks for all the feed back everyone..When i do it im gonna ship it in the mail with t-shirts and stuff to try and hide it and hopefully get away with it..I will first slant whatever i get..I know its a shot in the dark but would be cool if i score..Definetly will do test batchs and look at it under a scope..I figure whats the worst that will happen either get nothing or confiscation..but if i end up with the goods it would be awesome..thanks again everyone
You yeast, and bacteria smuggler....

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Quick Reply