Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Collecting blowoff yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #1
asterix404
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Collecting blowoff yeast?

Hi everyone. I had the experience that most people have when they first need to use a blowoff tube. My carboy was about to explode with krausen so I shoved some tubing I had around into the bung and dropped the tube in water. Everything was sanitized. Now I have essentially an open air waterlock on my fermenting beer. I was wondering about how to crop this yeast. I mean, this is the best yeast bar none possible. It would be clean, very fresh, extremely healthy and active, and best yet... free. I found this system called a Burton Union System

http://byo.com/stories/item/351-buil...ystem-projects

and I was wondering if anyone has something similar. I mostly do wheat beers or german styles with yeast that has extremely vigorous fermentation. Top cropping is key, particularly for wheat yeast. This seems like a closed system apart from opening it up after the fermentation and collecting all of that wonderful yeast. I could even stick a bit of starter liquid in the container to give the yeast something to eat. What do you think? For 20$, this pays for itself in about 2 beers. Are there better options available? This looks like a tiny and fun project.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

that looks great. nice and clean, and easy to clean after use. my 2 euro-cents: you can get great and cheap plastic quick disconnects, i would consider using those on the tubing so you can easily remove the jar. and i personally would avoid putting wort in there, the fresh yeast doesn't need food so you don't really have much to gain, and i think you're asking for trouble having a potential infection waiting around for some yeast to find its way up there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply