New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > "Cold Shocking" Lager yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Newton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Cold Shocking" Lager yeast?

I'm going to take my first stab at lager beer. I have a crawl space under my stairs that stays a constant 50 degrees all winter and a fridge in my garage that ranges from 33 to 36.

My plan is to do the primary fermentation in the crawl space, rack to corny and then lager the beer till prime summer drinking time. The literature I've read really recommends stepping down the lager temp over several days to avoid "cold shocking" the yeast. I don't really have any means to do this as I don't have any temperature control over the fridge. Anybody have any tips on this? Does skipping the "stepping down" part of lagering really have any affect on the final product, or is this just another brewing old wives tale?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
I'm going to take my first stab at lager beer. I have a crawl space under my stairs that stays a constant 50 degrees all winter and a fridge in my garage that ranges from 33 to 36.

My plan is to do the primary fermentation in the crawl space, rack to corny and then lager the beer till prime summer drinking time. The literature I've read really recommends stepping down the lager temp over several days to avoid "cold shocking" the yeast. I don't really have any means to do this as I don't have any temperature control over the fridge. Anybody have any tips on this? Does skipping the "stepping down" part of lagering really have any affect on the final product, or is this just another brewing old wives tale?
You can reduce the temperature faster- as the yeast really do most of the work before lagering. And keep in mind that putting it in the fridge means it will slowly go down to fridge temps.

I'd strongly consider doing a diacetyl rest before racking, especially if you're not experienced with lagers and deciding when to do one.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips Yooper. I'll probably do a diacetyl rest...but I was thinking also of trying the lagering method proposed in "Brewing Classic Styles". That method is pitching the yeast at 44 degrees and letting the beer rise to its primary temp. Supposedly the primary will then produce little if any noticeable diacetyl, thus eliminating the need for the rest. That being said, I'll probably end up doing a diacetyl rest anyway...

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
Thanks for the tips Yooper. I'll probably do a diacetyl rest...but I was thinking also of trying the lagering method proposed in "Brewing Classic Styles". That method is pitching the yeast at 44 degrees and letting the beer rise to its primary temp. Supposedly the primary will then produce little if any noticeable diacetyl, thus eliminating the need for the rest. That being said, I'll probably end up doing a diacetyl rest anyway...
That's a good idea. Some yeast strains are notorious for producing diacetyl, while others aren't but doing it the first time as a matter of course can't hurt.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you pitch cold, be sure to use a lot of yeast. Check Mr Malty for pitching rates but normally this means a gallon starter.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've done a few lagers now using the method described in Brewing Classic Styles and have not needed a diacetyl rest.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Hoping to get that book for Christmas....come on Santa!!

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply