Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cold Crashing Before Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
igvandeventer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Cold Crashing Before Brett?

Hello all! I'm currently in the middle of a MoreBeer Consecration Extract kit. Currently in primary with Abbey Ale yeast, then transferring to secondary w/ currents and Brett brux when gravity hits around 1.018. The question is should I cold crash the primary before pitching the Brett and racking? I really do not have an appropriate way of pulling this off except for sitting it outside. Thoughts?

Sorry if this is the wrong topic for this forum...imageuploadedbyhome-brew1417620855.615533.jpg

Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world. --Jack Nicholson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
trentm
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by igvandeventer View Post
Hello all! I'm currently in the middle of a MoreBeer Consecration Extract kit. Currently in primary with Abbey Ale yeast, then transferring to secondary w/ currents and Brett brux when gravity hits around 1.018. The question is should I cold crash the primary before pitching the Brett and racking? I really do not have an appropriate way of pulling this off except for sitting it outside. Thoughts?
IMO it is not necessary to cold crash but it is good the allow the Sacc to finish the fermentation wherever the final gravity ends up. Then try to settle all the Sacc possible. By doing this you give the Brett a clean slate (no competition from the Sacc). Cold crashing is a good way to drop the Sacc but you could also use finings. Cold crashing and fining is the best.

You may want to try this on the Lambic & Wild Brewing forum.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
trentm
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That yeast is getting pretty old. Make a starter.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
igvandeventer
Recipes 

Default Cold Crashing Before Brett?

Well it was already pitched. I'm not seeing a lot of activity from the blow off tubing but I will test the gravity in a couple days to see if it is taking off. If not I'll probably pitch more in a starter.

I did use a Whirfloc tablet in the boil. Will that be enough? (Noob question)

Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
igvandeventer
Recipes 

As an addon for the same batch. I'm kind of freaked out that my yeast won't take hold since I didn't make a starter. If no progress will the wort hold out till I get a starter made?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Whirlfloc is for clarity, so that won't help your yeast. Wort can generally stay clean, so I'd try to make a starter asap.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
igvandeventer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometz View Post
Whirlfloc is for clarity, so that won't help your yeast. Wort can generally stay clean, so I'd try to make a starter asap.
Well I plan on testing the gravity tomorrow to see if i has made any progress. I pitched the yeast in the batch by itself Tuesday night. I will be unable to get more yeast until saturday morning/noon sometime, make the starter, let it sit and, then pitch it after at least 12 hours, although im sure a little longer is better, right? Is there any risk at all of the batch completely going to **** in that amount of time?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Depending on temperature and sanitation, you might be alright. But get some yeast inn there asap

Quick Reply