Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cold-crash between primary and secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_fellow View Post
I've got a massive keezer (19.7 cf) so cold crashing anything isn't an issue. But ****, 5.7 L? That's massive. Could I make 3L starter, put it in the fridge, then make another 3L starter the next day, and pitch both of brew day? Is it okay to let one sit for a few days before pitching? I kno the cell count will drop a bit in a few days but that's why I would make two 3L starters to compensate for that loss.
Like I said above, yeastcalc will show you how to step up starters. Look at the cell count it recommends for the OG and batch size you're making, then input your yeast info (dry yeast is about 230billion cells, liquid is ~100b). The first starter you set up the oxygenation method and size you'd like to make, it will tell you how many cells you'll end up with. If it's not enough for the original cell count prescribed, add another starter below the first one and play with the size until it comes out to as many or slightly more than you need. My example above was done on yeastcalc and is relevant for your batch, based on the info you gave, and it only uses one batch of yeast.

if you're short on time, sure, you can make two starters from two vials and do it that way...just costing yourself another $8 or whatever you pay for vials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
907_fellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for your patience. Feel like I'm beating a dead horse haha. Just trying to get a grasp on this.

Anyone have the Black MAXX Stir Plate? Seems badass.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply