Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cold-crash between primary and secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
907_fellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Cold-crash between primary and secondary?

So I just brewed a raspberry wheat beer last night. It calls for a secondary fermentation in which some raspberry extract will be added. I have the luxury of cold crashing and typically do. However, this is the first time I'm going to rack into a secondary. Should I cold crash the primary to get as much to settle out as I can before racking to the secondary? Will these temp fluctuations be counter-productive?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I would usually cold crash, but not with a wheat. A little haze is style correct

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah I wouldn't crash going into secondary with a wheat. Pull a sample after it's been in secondary before you rack to bottling or keg and see how you like the clarity. If it's TOO cloudy, you can crash it before bottling/kegging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are kegging, just crash in the keg. You'll get all the larger particles out in the first pint or so and you'll save time not crashing the secondary.

If you are bottling, cold crash the secondary before bottling.

The only time I 'double crash' (primary and secondary) is when I'm looking for brilliant crystal clarity (competition entries, wedding beers, etc)

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
907_fellow
Recipes 

Sounds like a plan. Just pitched last night so probably give her 10 days or so in primary, then throw it in the secondary for 3 weeks. Everything gets kegged, no bottles for this guy.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
907_fellow
Recipes 

So judging by your responses, I would guess you guys secondary 100% of the time? I have made 6 batches without using a secondary. This is my 7th brew, but first time using a secondary.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_fellow View Post
So judging by your responses, I would guess you guys secondary 100% of the time? I have made 6 batches without using a secondary. This is my 7th brew, but first time using a secondary.
Nope. I rarely secondary, actually. If I lager a beer or want to rack onto fruit or something odd, I will secondary...but otherwise I dry-hop in primary or long-primary until kegging time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I usually cold crash from primary to serving keg...No secondary unless planning on leaving in fermentor for more than 6 months.

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
907_fellow
Recipes 

So another question... Like I said, I have so far just used a primary. The ipa I have in one right now is about 5 weeks old. How big of a deal is it to be sitting on all that trub? I kno the yeast will start to give off non-desirable flavors at some point but should I try to figure out a way to filter the trub out when racking from the kettle to the primary in the future? Does the trub not really matter much for taste?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_fellow View Post
So another question... Like I said, I have so far just used a primary. The ipa I have in one right now is about 5 weeks old. How big of a deal is it to be sitting on all that trub? I kno the yeast will start to give off non-desirable flavors at some point but should I try to figure out a way to filter the trub out when racking from the kettle to the primary in the future? Does the trub not really matter much for taste?
You're about to get a dozen different responses but.....

I did a very basic test months ago -- I made a 5 gallon batch and split it before fermentation. One batch was unfiltered, the other batch was run through an extremely fine mesh bag.

Four months later -- both batches tasted exactly the same.

Now I currently try to minimize trub but not because of flavor, but I want as much headspace as possible. If I'm entering it in a competition where the batch is supposed to be extremely or brilliantly clear, I'll also filter. But again, not for flavor.

You'll probably hear things about tannins, hops breaking down, or yeast autolysis, but I've never had an issue and I doubt I ever will.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Quick Reply