Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Clovey taste from S-05?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
TriggerFingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Hmmm....now that is interesting. Like I said it only happened to me once, and I attributed it to pitching too warm. Clove sure sounds like a ester to me, but maybe it could have been something to do with a batch? My notes show that it subsided after some time....maybe yours will too....

Best,

TF

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFingers View Post
Hmmm....now that is interesting. Like I said it only happened to me once, and I attributed it to pitching too warm. Clove sure sounds like a ester to me, but maybe it could have been something to do with a batch? My notes show that it subsided after some time....maybe yours will too....

Best,

TF
"Clove" isn't an ester- it's a "phenol". That's very common when Belgian yeast are used as it's a character of those strains, and it's also common when chlorinated water is used (it forms chlorophenols). Another cause of "clove" is infection.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply