Cloudy ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

I brewed an ESB (King Brian's Common Room ESB)with S04 yeast. Link to recipe below. It turned out ok, but is cloudy - everything I've read about S-04 yeast is how well it cleans everything up. Almost all of my other beers (except wheats of course) have been crystal clear for the most part, and I did nothing different with this batch than with the others, except for the yeast. It was the first time I used S-04. I used Whirlfloc, had a nice boil and quick cool... it has been in the bottle for about 2 months, have kept some in the fridge for about 2 weeks, nothing seems to clear it up. Has anyone had this problem with S-04? That's the only thing I can figure to blame. Thanks!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/common-room-esb-83878/

@slamback- not much help, my Common Room is still in the primary, 2 weeks tomorrow. I can't wait to get a sample off one of the first bottles. :)

That's rather odd. How long was your primary and did you use a secondary? What specifically did you use for a base malt? Every time I've used S-04 it cleared extremely well.

I used Maris Otter for the base malt - I think it was Munton's? It was in the primary for about 4 weeks and no secondary, straight to bottle.

Latest posts

Back