Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cleanest yeast for 78-82 F

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
gigapunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cleanest yeast for 78-82 F

I recently moved into a 393 square foot New York City apartment. I have NO room for fermentation temp control, but my apartment is at a steady 78-82 year round. I've searched wyeast temp reccomendations and here's what' I've come up with: below is a list of wyeast that have ferm. temps listed upto 78 F or higher. The Belgian strains as a group have the highest average temps overall, but I left out the lambics/sours.

There are only four yeast listed with a temperature range greater than or equal to 78 F.

3724 | Belgian Saison™ (Spicy, aromatic, mild fruity, acidic)
Temperature Range: 70-95F, 21-35C

1388 | Belgian Strong Ale™ (complex ester, subtle phenolics)
Temperature Range: 64-80° F (18-27° C)

1214 | Belgian Abbey™ (esters, spicy)
Temperature Range: 68-78° F (20-24° C)

3787 | Trappist High Gravity™ (balance of fruity esters and phenolics)
Temperature Range: 64-78F, 18-25C

I've tried a few yeast with varying success. 1187 Ringwood (64-74F) was really fruity and stalled around 1.020. Nottingham never lets me down, but can get a little harsh with a slight nasty fruity/banana flavor if temps get into the 80s. I have a 1332 Northwest Ale (65-75 F) in secondary right now, that's coming out without any off flavors, little friuty and malty just like wyeast describes it.

Any body have any experience with hi temp fermentation. Any suggestions for an APA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Look up swamp cooler. If you have room for a bucket you'll have room for a swamp cooler. All you need is a rubbermaid tote, fill it up half way with water then add frozen water bottles to it to the lowest temp you can get. Then just swap the frozen bottles out a few times a day. You should be able to get you temps in the mid to high 60's that way.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Chill to mid fifties, pitch an aggressive strain, and let ride. Without active cooling I think an apa is out of the question. Look into some cooling methods alternatively.

Time to have some fun

Old 09-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
gigapunk
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice guys. My Keggle already takes up the entire pantry. Maybe I can make some room in my closet. I do enjoy Duval, I presume the 1388 Belgian Strong Ale yeast is appropriate? But I understand that even Duval gets cooled in the secondary. I guess the answer really is temp control. Bogus.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There are a few yeast strains (that you have already researched) that work optimally at higher temps. The problem is none of them are "clean" and actually impart many flavors that make the yeast characteristics unique. You could try sticking to belgian styles for your beers since they have anything from pale ales, to session beers (saison), to strong ales.

You could also try them in a roasty beer like a stout to see if it masks the phenols/esters but I would try with small batches to start!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

1388 IS the Duvel strain, and yes you will need temp control somehow or another.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 09-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even the Duvel strain needs to start at about 68f, or else it spits out headachey fusel alcohols (or so I hear).

I think you're stuck with Saison yeast strains. I'd recommend 3711 French Saison, which I believe has a wider range of fermentation temperatures than reported on the label. Just try to keep the beer cooler while the yeast is in its growth phase.

Another strain you should look out for is the seasonal wyeast 3725 Biere De Garde. It's very clean for a Saison yeast.

Check out commercial saisons like Pretty Things Jack D'Or--that's pretty close to an APA; close as you can get with Belgian yeast.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Hokie_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you have a keggle in a 400sf apartment!? lmao, that's awesome

Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
aNYbrewery
a New York brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in the same boat as you, small apartment in brooklyn etc. I do have a ferm chamber in the basement but it only holds one carboy and I like to brew a lot. I just tried a saison with the 3711. Read up on it. Its an awesome yeast and if your apartments sitting in the mid 70's like mine it works great.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with DannPM. Your pitching temp is going to make the difference.

Quick Reply