Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cleanest beer yeast
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Halbrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 704
Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Cleanest beer yeast

My main dislike of beer is the yeast. I found that out by sampling individual ingredients. I'm coming around, and am enjoying brewing. But I would love to have a beer with no imparted yeast characteristics, as though it was brewed with champagne yeast.

What is the cleanest, most neutral, yeast there is?
What is the Premier Cuvee of beer yeasts?

Before I hit submit, let me say that I'm looking for ale yeasts. I don;t have a way to lager, and can't ferment below 65 or so.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...it's fine if it's fermenting.
Halbrust is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

US-o5 and Nottingham are considered the cleanest ale yeasts out there. Us-o5 is the chico strain, so in terms of liquid the cali ale yeast are pretty much the same.

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Whattawort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East Bumfark, Yonder
Posts: 912
Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
My main dislike of beer is the yeast. I found that out by sampling individual ingredients. I'm coming around, and am enjoying brewing. But I would love to have a beer with no imparted yeast characteristics, as though it was brewed with champagne yeast.

What is the cleanest, most neutral, yeast there is?
What is the Premier Cuvee of beer yeasts?

Before I hit submit, let me say that I'm looking for ale yeasts. I don;t have a way to lager, and can't ferment below 65 or so.
You're going to get yeast flavor no matter the beer you make. It's the defining ingredient in beer because if you don't have it, all you have is barley tea. If I HAD to suggest a clean/dry beer yeast I would say US-05 or WLP007. My first suggestion to you (and I don't mean to be mean) is to mess around with some cider recipes rather than try to get a beer yeast to behave a particular way. I have made several batches of various ciders all of them came out dry and clean with an exception of a few batches that I intentionally wanted to have the yeast profile come through.
__________________

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Whattawort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,022
Liked 381 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Fermentation temperature greatly alters the cleanliness of yeast flavor, despite the strain. Nottingham is clean in the lower 60's but quite the opposite in the high 60's and beyond. If you truly want to minimize the yeast flavors in your beer, start planning for a way to ferment at lower temperatures, or sell your gear and buy beer from brewers who can ferment at lower temperatures.

Also, when you say you cant ferment below 65 or so, I am guessing you are talking about ambient air temp, not wort temp. If that is the case then you may not be giving some great yeast a chance.

__________________
Xpertskir is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
feinbera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 455
Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
...and can't ferment below 65 or so.
How big of a range is your "or so"? Say you're up to 68, 69, and your fermenter's just sitting in the ambient air, which means the wort is probably three or four degrees warmer still during active fermentation, that's the low to mid 70s, which is plenty warm to turn a normally-clean yeast like US-05 into a yeasty estery mess (yeah, I learned this the hard way).

I hate swapping the jugs of ice in my swamp cooler, but it's cheap, it doesn't take up much space, and being able to keep the wort down in the low 60s has been night and day in terms of the quality of beer I'm making. I'd seriously consider at least cheap ghetto temp control if it's at all possible.
__________________
feinbera is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,033
Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Fermentation temperature greatly alters the cleanliness of yeast flavor, despite the strain. Nottingham is clean in the lower 60's but quite the opposite in the high 60's and beyond. If you truly want to minimize the yeast flavors in your beer, start planning for a way to ferment at lower temperatures, or sell your gear and buy beer from brewers who can ferment at lower temperatures.

Also, when you say you cant ferment below 65 or so, I am guessing you are talking about ambient air temp, not wort temp. If that is the case then you may not be giving some great yeast a chance.
Exactly. Any temperatures above 65 degrees are going to end up with more yeast character than a beer brewed at proper temperatures. If the ambient is 65, the fermentation temperature could easily be 75.

I find that nottingham ale yeast, fermented at 57-59 degrees (fermentation temperature, not ambient) and pacman ale yeast, fermented at 60 degrees are the "cleanest" yeast strains. Once you get above 60 degrees, you start getting some yeast character out of them. Nottingham starts getting fruity at 65-67, and gets weirdly fruity at 68-70, and is positively foul over 72 degrees.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

Another thing I've found besides what yooper and others have said is that gravity of a beer comes into play as well. I've found that when making milds and other low grav beers Us-05 is NOT a clean tasting yeast. I love it for most everything else, but in low grav beers it takes on a bit of a peachy flavor, regardless of the temp.

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Spicemon1972
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Spicemon1972's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 237
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Exactly. Any temperatures above 65 degrees are going to end up with more yeast character than a beer brewed at proper temperatures. If the ambient is 65, the fermentation temperature could easily be 75.

I find that nottingham ale yeast, fermented at 57-59 degrees (fermentation temperature, not ambient) and pacman ale yeast, fermented at 60 degrees are the "cleanest" yeast strains. Once you get above 60 degrees, you start getting some yeast character out of them. Nottingham starts getting fruity at 65-67, and gets weirdly fruity at 68-70, and is positively foul over 72 degrees.
+ a bunch - ferm. temperature is a big deal and one that is usually learned the hard way.
+ 1 - Pacman, Notty & US05 are as clean as you are going to get as long as you remember the statement above.
__________________
Life can be Painless
When you're Brainless
Spicemon1972 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
ajm163
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 194
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I have had really good success with White Labs East Cost ale at 66 degrees very clean

__________________

My Brew Blog
http://angryocelotbrewing.blogspot.com

ajm163 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Halbrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 704
Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default

The lowest ambient temperature my house will get is 65 (Southern California). That's 65 during the day, cooler at night.
I can do the swamp cooler thing, I have with meads.

I thought ambient temperature of 65 was OK, because the fermenting ale would stay under 70. I stand corrected.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...it's fine if it's fermenting.
Halbrust is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleanest ale yeast. HopLife Fermentation & Yeast 14 01-03-2013 01:14 PM
Cleanest yeast for APA and IPA pickles Fermentation & Yeast 24 06-07-2012 11:17 PM
cleanest fermenting ale yeast bellsbrat Fermentation & Yeast 10 01-04-2012 03:22 AM
Cleanest yeast for 78-82 F gigapunk Fermentation & Yeast 38 09-08-2011 06:40 PM
Cleanest Ale Yeast JonK331 Fermentation & Yeast 24 02-16-2010 01:45 AM