Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Cleanest Ale Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
JonK331
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Cleanest Ale Yeast

What are people's opinions on what is absolutely the cleanest yeast on the market that can ferment at ale temperatures. Dry or liquid, preferable dry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

US-05 has been my go-to.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've done US-05 and Nottingham. Both give me clean results.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I find US-05 a great yeast. WY1056 tends to be clean for me as well. Water quality will likely come into play though.

Tap 2:. Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA
Primary:. Sycamore Porter, Scottish Ale

Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

My favorite neutral ale yeast hands down is US-05. I use it for probably 99% of my brews.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I love US-05 as well but it seems to act very differently at different temperatures. At 62f it almost seems as clean as a lager yeast. However, at 72f it seems very different. Last year I inadvertantly made an almost Kristal Weisse like beer after fermenting 05 at around 72f. I am very interested in Safale -04 as well. It doesn't seem like a traditional English ALe Yeast to me. In my experience it is also a very clean yeast and flocks out much better than 05. What is also interesting is that Morebeer sells S-05 with some of their Kolsch kits; this confirms that, when fermented at the lowest end of the ale range, S-05 is SUPER CLEAN. Has anyone else experienced this? What I would really like to be able to do is make super clean, crisp lager like ales without having to go down as low into the lager temp range. THese new dry yeasts are really amazing and I think they are more versatile and have more potential than we have yet to realize.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
jsullivan02130
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am currently fermenting 12 lbs. of German Pils with an ale yeast and am keeping it cool, hoping for a clean clear beer (.75 oz Magnum for bittering and 2 oz of Saaz for flavor/aroma).

I chilled the wort to 45 degrees and put it in a water bath, also at 45, before pitching with rehydrated US-05 -- I love Boston water, especially in the winter.

The water bath rose to about 55 in 24 hours and the airlock started bubbling. It is now at 59-60 and I'll keep it there for a few days then slowly raise it up. While I don't have temp control for lagers, I'm expecting to get something clean and crisp for summer drinking.

I will lager this for a few months in the back hall at about 40 to clear it up as much as possible.

"There is nothing in brewing so complicated that a little effort can't make even more complicated."

Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I am %100 sold on nottingham ale yeast fermented 64-68 degrees and not a touch warmer.

However, US-05 is nice too....IMO it is a little less attenuative (close though) and does not clear or floc as well. Good yeast though for sure.

I don't have firsthand experience with it, but Rogue Pacman is allegedly the cleanest.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

US-05 for me, though I used to use Notty a lot and liked it. The only problem with it, as indicated above, is that it gets pretty estery at around 70 or higher, whereas I find US-05 a little more tolerant at that spot.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'll add Pacman to the list since nobody else has mentioned it. Fantastic clean fermenting yeast.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply