The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Citrus flavor bleh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
jbrewkeggin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Citrus flavor bleh

I harvested some British Ale yeast from a very successful American Style IPA batch that I made recently, and I decided that I wanted to make a second batch using this yeast. I collected this yeast in a growler, left it in a fridge for about a week, and then slowly poured the yeast solution into a second growler(about 1/4 gal of solution and yeast). I saved some of this solution in a vile and used the rest in a yeast starter for this second batch. Everything was sanitized along the way. Two days later on brew day, I cooled my wort to 68 degrees and pitched my yeast, but the fermenter warmed up to about 75 degrees F in the basement, then came down to about 72 degrees F. I had a vigorous fermentation in less than 24 hours(plastic lid came partly off of my fermenter and the airlock overflowed!). It's been 4 days and I just took an initial taste from the spigot. It tastes way too fruity, and this masks the hop bitterness. My first batch didn't taste like this , even this early in the fermentation. Was this due to using too much yeast? Hot fermentation temperature? Some other factor that caused it to spoil? Is my batch ruined?

-Jbrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 83

75 is a temp that yeasts love a little too much. it's still to early to call it ruined.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
Marshi
Recipes 

Any way you could conduct a diacetyl rest? you probably have tons of diacetyl that you're gonna want to get rid of, maybe throw your fermenter in a cooler corner of your basement (around 63 F), although it sounds like your basement gets pretty hot, haha. Don't know if it's too late for that but maybe worth a try.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
75 is a temp that yeasts love a little too much. it's still to early to call it ruined.
I agree. I would give it a long time for the yeast to clean up.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
elielilang
Recipes 

i had a beer like that, I just let it ride as normal bottled it and waited a month. im drinking one now. !00% good without off flavors...

www.elilang.com

Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
jbrewkeggin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would you recommend I leave it in the primary for more than a week, or should I rack it to a secondary and leave it in there for much longer? The recipe calls for dry hopping in the secondary.

I need to build a fermentation chamber of some sort, considering the basement stays the same temperature as the rest of the house, haha.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you can cool it down then I would leave it in the primary. Otherwise, the time is right to move it to secondary.

If you just follow your normal course of brewing and then lager at cooler temperatures then everything might mellow out just fine. I have seen some esters disappear over time but nothing too strong, sounds like you have an extreme case on your hands.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Quick Reply