Cider stopped fermenting at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishYobbo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done a few batches with a few different kinds of beer before, so I thought it was time to give cider a go. I used a black rock cider kit with 1kg sugar, can't really go wrong, right?

Well, the airlock stopped bubbling after day three. On day 4 I took a hydrometer reading, got 1.020 and it was still very sweet (tasted just like apple juice with a slight hint of alcohol). On day 8 another reading, same story - 1.020, sweet tasting.

So any ideas? Temperature started at about 26C and has been running around a constant 24 from then (that's 79F and 75F to old people ;) Would it be worth mixing it a little in case the yeast is 'trapped'? Or adding new yeast in case the old stuff has somehow died?

Thanks in advance.

Guess I'll need someone else to pipe in on this. So what was your recipe exactly 5 gallons? I'm guessing that's about 4 cups of sugar? What was your hydrometer reading when you started?

I personally have only used Wine Yeast with Cider, I haven't used Cider Yeast. The 2 gallon batch I made with wine yeast got it down to 1.000.

The initial gravity was 1.056, but I'm not sure how accurate that was. It was 1kg of sugar, so yeah, about 4 cups, made to 23 litres (5 gallons).

It's still exactly the same. As far as I know, the only options I can try are adding more yeast, or mixing it up.

You may want to go ahead, and let it go a few more days, if it's STILL at 1.020, then you could try adding more.

Back